Highlighted

Licensing Adobe Air Desktop Application

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sell a desktop software product for Windows and Mac built using Actionscript/Adobe Air, the product is currently licenced using Wyday Lime LM.  I am considering leaving Lime LM because of the following. Every X days Lime LM plug-in connects to the internet to validate that the product key is still active.  If the product key is active the software continues running, if the product key is no longer active the software reverts to trial mode. Here is the issue, if there is no internet connection, the software reverts to trial mode.  If the user has no internet connection they are unable to reactivate the software. I would like to add a dialogue in the software, “Re-activation will occur in X days, re-activate now?” - this will give my users the opportunity to re-activate the software for the next X days so that they don’t have to worry about the product ceasing to work. Lime LM does not support this feature - are there any alternatives for licensing Adobe Air desktop applications?  I've only seen the offering from excelsoftware.com but the $995 price tag is somewhat off-putting considering LimeLM is charging me $12/month.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Licensing Adobe Air Desktop Application

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sell a desktop software product for Windows and Mac built using Actionscript/Adobe Air, the product is currently licenced using Wyday Lime LM.  I am considering leaving Lime LM because of the following. Every X days Lime LM plug-in connects to the internet to validate that the product key is still active.  If the product key is active the software continues running, if the product key is no longer active the software reverts to trial mode. Here is the issue, if there is no internet connection, the software reverts to trial mode.  If the user has no internet connection they are unable to reactivate the software. I would like to add a dialogue in the software, “Re-activation will occur in X days, re-activate now?” - this will give my users the opportunity to re-activate the software for the next X days so that they don’t have to worry about the product ceasing to work. Lime LM does not support this feature - are there any alternatives for licensing Adobe Air desktop applications?  I've only seen the offering from excelsoftware.com but the $995 price tag is somewhat off-putting considering LimeLM is charging me $12/month.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 20, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sort of behavior is common with licensed apps. Would it be simpler to just always show a message to tell people to be online? Or use a shared object to help estimate when it is you need to tell them to make sure they are online when the key is going to run out.

Changing licensing systems for what may be an unusual case seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what I am hoping to achieve, the message to tell people when to be online - but it doesn't seem possible with LimeLM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But could it be possible with shared object? When they first run the app you make a note of the date, then each launch you check the shared object file and if it's 6 months later, tell them to be online. You would at least know from the shared object that they were licensed at some point, and with another check you know they're not online.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2018 1