Highlighted

Low memory on Ipad leads to crash

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear developers, I am testing out a new app today and noticed that the app crashed when it was saving information to memory.  The information is not larger then a kilobyte and the Ipad had over 50 megabytes left, but I continuously got the crash.

When I removed some things on the Ipad and increased the memory to a gig, the crash disappeared and I no longer had problems. 

A few weeks ago, I remember reading about this from another developer post but cannot recall if there was a solution and cannot find the post now.  Was there any solution to this?  Is there a way to detect low memory on the Ipad and hence prevent the crash.

Thank you,

Justin

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Colin Holgate | Adobe Community Professional

That might have been me. Here’s the bug report, if you want to go over and vote for it:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3711301

Meanwhile, do a try/catch when you’re trying to save data. You still won’t have saved data, but at least your app won’t crash. When the error happens you could alert the user that their storage is low, and that the save had failed.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Low memory on Ipad leads to crash

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear developers, I am testing out a new app today and noticed that the app crashed when it was saving information to memory.  The information is not larger then a kilobyte and the Ipad had over 50 megabytes left, but I continuously got the crash.

When I removed some things on the Ipad and increased the memory to a gig, the crash disappeared and I no longer had problems. 

A few weeks ago, I remember reading about this from another developer post but cannot recall if there was a solution and cannot find the post now.  Was there any solution to this?  Is there a way to detect low memory on the Ipad and hence prevent the crash.

Thank you,

Justin

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Colin Holgate | Adobe Community Professional

That might have been me. Here’s the bug report, if you want to go over and vote for it:

Meanwhile, do a try/catch when you’re trying to save data. You still won’t have saved data, but at least your app won’t crash. When the error happens you could alert the user that their storage is low, and that the save had failed.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 13, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin....I will do what you suggested and hopefully this will help.  This crash causes the app to completely freeze and it can only be played again by a force quit.  I never thought about your solution so it was much appreciated.

Justin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 0