Highlighted

PackageExtractionFailed - Adobe AIR for iOS

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with the same codebase for some time. Today I added a library (bashi/exif-as3 · GitHub to get over https://forums.adobe.com/message/381400 this issue). As soon as I had added that library in, I'm getting PackageExtractionFailed errors.

I'm authoring in Flash CC 2015. AIR 19.0.0.193. iOS9 Platform - Windows 7.

I wish there were more info about what this error actually meant so there was a natural line of inquiry.

Things I've tried:

* The library comes with a bunch of XML files that are EMBEDded into the Tags.as class. I thought this might be a natural place to start, but removing those embedded XML files doesn't stop the error.

* The situation is extremely unstable. After removing the library, the error persisted until I backed up significantly further. Then, interestingly, adding pieces back in (that had previously also thrown the error) no longer failed.

* Restarting the iPad, restarting the PC seemed to have no effect, nor did clearing the Publish cache.

* After 5 hours of trial and error I am unable to determine the cause. this is affecting shipping code, but I have no idea what else to try, maybe older AIR versions or an iOS8 device?

TOPICS
Development

Views

865

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PackageExtractionFailed - Adobe AIR for iOS

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with the same codebase for some time. Today I added a library (bashi/exif-as3 · GitHub to get over https://forums.adobe.com/message/381400 this issue). As soon as I had added that library in, I'm getting PackageExtractionFailed errors.

I'm authoring in Flash CC 2015. AIR 19.0.0.193. iOS9 Platform - Windows 7.

I wish there were more info about what this error actually meant so there was a natural line of inquiry.

Things I've tried:

* The library comes with a bunch of XML files that are EMBEDded into the Tags.as class. I thought this might be a natural place to start, but removing those embedded XML files doesn't stop the error.

* The situation is extremely unstable. After removing the library, the error persisted until I backed up significantly further. Then, interestingly, adding pieces back in (that had previously also thrown the error) no longer failed.

* Restarting the iPad, restarting the PC seemed to have no effect, nor did clearing the Publish cache.

* After 5 hours of trial and error I am unable to determine the cause. this is affecting shipping code, but I have no idea what else to try, maybe older AIR versions or an iOS8 device?

TOPICS
Development

Views

866

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2015 0
Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, the error has completely vanished. I say "sadly" because it ate up 5 hours of a very busy day and affected our ability to ship code on time, but we do not have a mitigation plan for the future.


We abandoned the area of code that was involved in the error (I say "involved" because I'm not sure that the code was responsible for the error), and moved on to other things. Then, at the end of the day, when we came back and added the offending code back in, the error was gone and we were able to move on and compile properly.


It definitely feels like something either device-related, compiler related or transcoder/runtime related, because I don't think it was a particular library that cause it. I removed all references to the library and the error still occurred. Then later, when I added it in again, there was no error.


I DID notice a ton of temp files in my /bin folder (where the IPA gets installed), and cleared those out. I'm not sure, but there might be something to that. So, if you're running into this error, check for stray AOT files and delete them.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Oct 08, 2015 0
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the ipa extraction error with an app on iPad. After removing stage.align and scaleMode, the error disappears.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jul 04, 2016 0