Highlighted

"Context3D not available" on Chrome OS

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have suddenly seen a dramatic increase on fatal Starling errors "Context3D not available" on Chrome OS devices (as of last Friday).

Someone else reported similar findings and Josh Tynjala was able to reproduce the issue on his Asus Chromebit.

Just wanted to bring this into attention of Adobe, more about it here:

https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/context3d-not-available-on-chrome-os-since-yesterday

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Context3D not available" on Chrome OS

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have suddenly seen a dramatic increase on fatal Starling errors "Context3D not available" on Chrome OS devices (as of last Friday).

Someone else reported similar findings and Josh Tynjala was able to reproduce the issue on his Asus Chromebit.

Just wanted to bring this into attention of Adobe, more about it here:

https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/context3d-not-available-on-chrome-os-since-yesterday

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 12, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a physical ChromeBook with me, just a ChromeOS virtual machine, and that claims not to be compatible with the Flash Player plugin, even though it also tells me that Flash Player is already installed.

Aside from being ACP/MVP here, I'm also a Top Contributor with Google product forums. I'll ask my ChromeOS chums if they know of any significant updates from last week.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got some answers already. One of which is to say that there was an update on Friday:

Chrome Releases: Stable Channel Updates for Chrome OS

Here's the list of changes:

Log - 57.0.2987.137..57.0.2987.146 - chromium/src - Git at Google

You could log a bug against Chromium:

Issues - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2017 1
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin for looking into this. I've now filed an issue here:

713026 - "Context3D not available" on Chrome OS Flash Player - chromium - Monorail

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2017 1
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, cross-posting to here, Starling forum, and Chromium bug report:

Hi,

I have some details from a device on which I reproduced the issue. Here's a Google Photos album which contains:

https://goo.gl/photos/nshMFtn41qDx2JB67

- Pics of the "About Chrome OS" screen & build info (57.0.2987.146)

- Flash version (25.0.0.148)

- Samsung XE303C12 Chromebook

- A video of refreshing a couple times, showing it's intermittent (randomly works, randomly fails)

I notice that both this Chromebook and the Chromebit mentioned above are ARM devices with Mali GPU's (and this issue seems to be GPU-related.)

Workaround in the meanwhile: the problem is intermittent and refreshing a few times may get you in a working state.

Best,

-Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 0
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, posted some info on an ugly workaround (in the Starling Stage3D error handler, it refreshes the page on error 3702.)

https://forum.starling-framework.org/topic/context3d-not-available-on-chrome-os-since-yesterday?repl...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this bug. We are seeing it too - real bummer because reloading the page isn't a great option for most 'apps'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2017 0
Participant ,
May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, refreshing is not pretty. Make sure to star the issue in the upper-left of the Chromium bug report:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Seems to be intermittent, which is maddening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2017 0
Participant ,
May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. BTW, Paul, what device are you experiencing the issue on? I have a suspicion that it only affects ARM+Mali chips, as that fits both the currently reported devices: Samsung 303C (ARM+Mali T604) and Chromebit (ARM+Mali T624)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2017 0
Explorer ,
May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had it reported on Samsung Chromebooks to this point - and mostly they are older models. That would support your findings. I don't see them on the ASUS and HP Chromebooks that we test in-house.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening on my Dell Inspiron, but so far only in one Facebook game I am playing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2020 0