Highlighted

removing "air." prefix from package name has any working solution!?

Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have searched and asked and investigated and tested many methods to remove the prefix of "air."

No need to re-mention all details in here (as it is already available in below link with no selected answer as being correct):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5632756

I just wonder if there is a working solution already? (for Flash CS6 - latest Air 4)

I need to upgrade an old App written by Java, so I have to MATCH the package name by removing the "air" prefix.

Looking forward for a working solution please...

Regards,

Ali

Hey!!!

It was solved JUST NOW with a method I was done BEFORE with no success!!

1- first of all I did not follow this Article

(http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/opt-out-air-application-analytics.html) as I'm lazy you can say.

2- Setting a new "Environment Variable" method worked for me (Also it was not working yesterday!!)

So to save you dear reader lots of time, here is the exact process you need to follow (based on Windows 7):

- Start menu > Right click on Computer > select Properties.

- click Advanced system settings (left side) > Advanced tab > click Environment Variables...

- click New...  > in Variable Name field enter "AIR_NOANDROIDFLAIR" > in variable Value field enter "true".

- Do this one more time (one time for User variables, one time for system variables)

- The result should be similar to this:

Untitled.png

- NOW you need to reboot (and in my case, I also needed to disable my Antivirus I don't know why!?)

- And now when you make any apps for Android using Flash, it will not contain that FORCED "air." prefix automatically.

Note1: as you remove the Air prefix from package name, remember the side effect that "Your App will no more prompt users to install adobe Air in case they do not have it (that is very BAD!), as your phone has no way to understand this app is build by Adobe Air to prompt user, so they will receive an unexpected Error!

Note2: The short term solution for Note1 is that you MERGE AIR with your app (and accept the 10MB extra size). Also remember for any future updates, you are forced to merge Air that make it a bad idea in LONG TERM (if you are going to upgrade regularly).

Note3: based on Note1 and 2, you better publish your new apps INCLUDING the air prefix,

BUTTTTTTTT this time as a CHOICE and not a MUST 

Untitled2.png

All the best,

Ali

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

removing "air." prefix from package name has any working solution!?

Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have searched and asked and investigated and tested many methods to remove the prefix of "air."

No need to re-mention all details in here (as it is already available in below link with no selected answer as being correct):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5632756

I just wonder if there is a working solution already? (for Flash CS6 - latest Air 4)

I need to upgrade an old App written by Java, so I have to MATCH the package name by removing the "air" prefix.

Looking forward for a working solution please...

Regards,

Ali

Hey!!!

(http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/opt-out-air-application-analytics.html) as I'm lazy you can say.

2- Setting a new "Environment Variable" method worked for me (Also it was not working yesterday!!)

So to save you dear reader lots of time, here is the exact process you need to follow (based on Windows 7):

- click Advanced system settings (left side) > Advanced tab > click Environment Variables...

- click New...  > in Variable Name field enter "AIR_NOANDROIDFLAIR" > in variable Value field enter "true".

- Do this one more time (one time for User variables, one time for system variables)

Untitled.png

- NOW you need to reboot (and in my case, I also needed to disable my Antivirus I don't know why!?)

- And now when you make any apps for Android using Flash, it will not contain that FORCED "air." prefix automatically.

Note1: as you remove the Air prefix from package name, remember the side effect that "Your App will no more prompt users to install adobe Air in case they do not have it (that is very BAD!), as your phone has no way to understand this app is build by Adobe Air to prompt user, so they will receive an unexpected Error!

Note2: The short term solution for Note1 is that you MERGE AIR with your app (and accept the 10MB extra size). Also remember for any future updates, you are forced to merge Air that make it a bad idea in LONG TERM (if you are going to upgrade regularly).

Note3: based on Note1 and 2, you better publish your new apps INCLUDING the air prefix,

Untitled2.png

All the best,

Ali

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 03, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was wrong with the Adobe article on how to do it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is no user has confirmed if this long confusing process has ever worked?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3502230

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5533949

when there is a simple need "removing a prefix" there should be a "simpler solution" always, but in case you are sure the Adobe way will work, I will also start that process??

thanks a lot for your reply colin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin are you sure if I follow the Adobe article, I will not end up posting another question like this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058250

If you confirm it works I will start the same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sure you might have problems, but I’m also sure there isn’t a choice, you have to try. Just follow the steps carefully.

I haven’t had to do this, I just feel sure that if the article needed fixing it would have been fixed by now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks ... I will test this today and inform the results hopefully.

all the best

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Colin!

One last question.....based on that article (http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/opt-out-air-application-analytics.html)

It is divided into two parts:

• Prerequisites
  • Steps for Linux and Mac OS

As I am using Windows, is that Ok if I follow "Steps for Linux and Mac OS"?!

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!!!

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

All the best,

Ali

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed that this works. Good stuff, Ali. This saved me on a client project today.

(Air 17 w/ captive runtime, BTW)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2015 0
itlancer LATEST
Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this works. Thanks, Ali.

Anyway, feature request for this issue: Feature#3600917 - Android Bundle ID Should no longer be prefixed by "air."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2015 0