• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rules of thumb for AIR app memory issues on iOS?

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app I am working with has run into memory issues on iOS, specifically the iPad  ("reason" : "vm-pageshortage").    Are there rules of thumb that might help me resolve this?  For example, how much memory is typically 'OK' for an iOS app, and when does it start to become a resource issue?  I am also using a Stage3D library. 

I have used Scout to do some analysis, but besides the vast amount of used memory being 'uncategorized' (200MB), I am not sure what to look for, or what to optimize first. As an example, one stage of the app profiled in Scout on the AIR iOS simulator shows overall allocation of 300MB and GPU allocation of 110MB.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

I wrote about it here
https://discuss.as3lang.org/t/memory-and-performance/242

see the list of learning materials

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote about it here
https://discuss.as3lang.org/t/memory-and-performance/242

see the list of learning materials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it looks like it will help and I'll have to go through it properly.  I am also going to set up a test on a newer iPad, since the one I was using is probably long in the tooth to represent the average user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newer device is nice to have but I would say keeping around an older device is even better for testing

eg. if it works "fast enough" on the older device it should works as good or better on newer device

and if you don't have enough device to test around
you can reach out to online services like
https://www.diawi.com/

or

How it works - Beta Family

etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's cool, I'll take a closer look.  I have purposely been using an older iPad for testing, with the same conclusion in mind, but I think the iPad 3rd/4th Gen with 1GB memory is probably far enough out of the mainstream to move on from.  That said, if the memory wasn't an issue, the performance of the app was still good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines