Highlighted

stagewebview Windows pdfs

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am developing an air application that downloads pdfs and displays them using stagewebview. The application works as expected on ios and Mac. The problem I am running into is when displaying pdfs on windows. Instead of showing the pdf, it prompts the user to download the file. It seems like it isn't using browser plugins. When I use the browser outside of the air application it displays pdfs as expected. Any ideas of how to fix this?

If user have Acrobat Reader installed - it will be used to display PDF inside StageWebView. This is a case of

new StageWebView(true);

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

stagewebview Windows pdfs

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am developing an air application that downloads pdfs and displays them using stagewebview. The application works as expected on ios and Mac. The problem I am running into is when displaying pdfs on windows. Instead of showing the pdf, it prompts the user to download the file. It seems like it isn't using browser plugins. When I use the browser outside of the air application it displays pdfs as expected. Any ideas of how to fix this?

If user have Acrobat Reader installed - it will be used to display PDF inside StageWebView. This is a case of

new StageWebView(true);

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 12, 2016 0
Engaged ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Adobe documentation, unless you are using a custom library or 3rd party library, the only way to display PDFs in Flash is if the Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed.

"Important: To render PDF content in AIR, the user must have Adobe Reader or Adobe® Acrobat® version 8.1 or higher installed."

Adobe Flash Platform * Adding PDF content in AIR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this same problem for a Desktop AIR app I built. My solution was to instead of directly linking the PDF in the stageWebView, I instead linked to this:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://url.to.your.pdf

It's basically Googles PDF viewer that works and displays PDFs correctly inside of StageWebView.

Example: http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/air_buildingapps.pdf

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good idea but unfortunately I need this to work offline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2016 0
Advocate ,
Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new StageWebView(true);

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like the problem was just that Acrobat Reader wasn't installed. Thanks for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2016 0