Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for new icon sizes in iOS 7

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I just tried to compile my AIR app which includes the new icon sizes required for iOS 7 (76x76, 120x120, 152x152 and the Spotlight search result icons 40x40 and 80x80). Here's the icon section from my app descriptor XML:

<icon>

<image29x29>assets/icons/icon29.png</image29x29>

<image50x50>assets/icons/icon50.png</image50x50>

<image57x57>assets/icons/icon57.png</image57x57>

<image58x58>assets/icons/icon58.png</image58x58>

<image72x72>assets/icons/icon72.png</image72x72>

<image100x100>assets/icons/icon100.png</image100x100>

<image114x114>assets/icons/icon114.png</image114x114>

<image144x144>assets/icons/icon144.png</image144x144>

<image512x512>assets/icons/icon512.png</image512x512>

<image1024x1024>assets/icons/icon1024.png</image1024x1024>

<!-- Additional app icons for iOS 7 -->

<image40x40>assets/icons/icon40.png</image40x40>

<image76x76>assets/icons/icon76.png</image76x76>

<image80x80>assets/icons/icon80.png</image80x80>

<image120x120>assets/icons/icon120.png</image120x120>

<image152x152>assets/icons/icon152.png</image152x152>

</icon>

Compiling fails with the following error:

Error occurred while packaging the application:

[...]/Test_iOS-app.xml(59): error 103: application.icon.image40x40 is an unexpected element/attribute

[...]/Test_iOS-app.xml(60): error 103: application.icon.image76x76 is an unexpected element/attribute

[...]/Test_iOS-app.xml(61): error 103: application.icon.image80x80 is an unexpected element/attribute

[...]/Test_iOS-app.xml(62): error 103: application.icon.image120x120 is an unexpected element/attribute

[...]/Test_iOS-app.xml(63): error 103: application.icon.image152x152 is an unexpected element/attribute

Looks like support for the new icon sizes is missing. When can we expect support for the new icon sizes? Or am I completely wrong?!

Regards,

René

btw.: I'm using AIR beta (3.8.0.1350) with FB 4.7

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are aware of this new icons and currently working on it. I requrest you to open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  Once the bug has been added would you mind posting back with the URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments?

Regards,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nimit

Here's the link to the bug report:
https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3624261

As icons are critical for every mobile app: Vote, vote, vote!

Regards,

René

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried the beta 3.9 and I still get the same error, though it says it should be iOS7 compatible now... I am generating the ipa directly from the terminal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this in the detailed release notes:

3622405: [iOS7] iOS7 specific icons are not yet supported.

Well, to me this means there is no iOS 7 support yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find some detailed Release Notes? The pdf on the labs page is a bit crappy, no really helpful information...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know.

Took me a while, though there is a thread just about that (should be made more visible, I think).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1289547?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you commented out those iOS7 specific icon sizes and rebuild, are you

able to install it on iOS 7? I would assume the icons may look crappy in

the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris: Yes, commenting out let's you build and install the app on test devices running iOS 7 but the app will be rejected when you try to submit it to the iTunes AppStore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apps continue to be accepted, and the icons look fine in iOS 7. One thing to note is that the corner radius has changed, so you might want to not burn in your own border, and instead make the icon square, let the OS do the corners for you.

I just feel sure that Apple would not reject an app submission based on the requirements for an as yet unreleased version of iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin, you are right (though I read that apps are not longer beeing accepted without those icons). However, by updateing an app now, it is a little wierd not to be able to use the new icons (and really, making this work should not be too hard). I just think that it would be great if there would be more often updates, though it is good that we are able to use the betas at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: Since AIR 3.9.0.790 the new iOS icon sizes are supported.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, they are supported, i.e. packager 3.9.0.1080 is no longer complaning about unknown icon sizes if one declares them in application.xml, but it doesn't package them in the IPA either (I've just opened it and found no trace of the new iOS 7 icons provided).

Also, I've uploaded an app to Apple today and got an email confirming this:

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "------------". Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

Missing recommended icon file - The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly '120x120' pixels, in .png format.

Missing recommended icon file - The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '76x76' pixels, in .png format.

Missing recommended icon file - The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '152x152' pixels, in .png format.

So, I'm either doing something wrong here or SDK 3.9.0.1080 isn't quite there yet as far as iOS 7 support is concerned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please unzip your iPA file and see if these icons are present inside Payload/<YOUR_APP_NAME>.app/Icon-XXXX-XX.png

I am sure you would have provided the icons in the application.xml file and are mentioning the same while packaging the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can help answer that, because I'm trying the same things. In the package is an icons folder, inside that are all of the icons that I tried to include (all 18 of them). But the named icons in the higher level are only these old ones:

Icon-Large.png

Icon-Small-50.png

Icon-Small-50@2x.png

Icon-Small.png

Icon-Small@2x.png

Icon.png

Icon@2x-Large.png

Icon@2x.png

None of those are the new sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have those same icons too, plus the icons folder. No new icon sizes are included in the IPA, although they are specified in application.xml the same way as the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this should not happen. All the icons specified in application.xml should be copied here as well.

Thanks Colin and pnande for confirming that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What names will you be giving the icons? You already do give the other 8 sizes official names, what are the official names for the new sizes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

iOS 7 SDK builds (3.9.0.108) should be used only if you're using some native extension which is based on iOS 7 APIs. Othewise, to be able to just support the application on iOS 7 device, the 3.9.0.79 build is sufficient. The build 3.9.0.79 has new icons support, the other one 3.9.0.108 doesn't have new icon support yet.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

-Pahup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty funny!

Indeed, building with the 790 one does give these icons:

Icon-Ipad-76.png

Icon-Ipad-152.png

Icon-Iphone-120.png

Icon-Large.png

Icon-Small-40.png

Icon-Small-50.png

Icon-Small-50@2x.png

Icon-Small-80.png

Icon-Small.png

Icon-Small@2x.png

Icon.png

Icon@2x-Large.png

Icon@2x.png

Now, just think, one day we’ll be able to do this from Flash Pro too!

Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was also able to confirm this works with 790 build. Sending Pahup a digital kiss on the mouth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could write an IPA with the 108 and have all the icons (those that I made to test support of iOS7) in the build... I exported the file from the Terminal with all icons included in the xml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you please tell us the download address of 390 build.

It's not avaliable now.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pahup,

I'v used the build 3.9.0.79 as suggested, but the icon issue persists. I am trying to publish from Flash Professional CS6 using the said AIR SDK version.

The addtional icons for IOS 7, I add in application descriptor xml before opening & publishing the fla. But as soon the app is compiled & I read the app descriptor back, IOS 7 icons are removed from there (only addtional icons, others are there).

Can you suggest any further steps or point what may be missing ?

Thanks in Advance

Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot currently build from Flash Pro, it will eat those icons. You have to build from the command line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines