Highlighted

Switching between videos mid play

Participant ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using StageVideo to play a video file on iOS (ipad mostly) and it runs ok.  I recently shot some video from 3 different camera angles and so I thought I would try to give the user the flexibility to play the video and switch between camera angles on the fly. 

Is there a 'best' way to do this or has anyone achieved something similar?  I've experimented with just switching the net stream mid flow to play a new file (but this starts again from the beginning).  Ideally I want the transition between streams to be seamless so that dialogue / music etc is not affected.

Is it possible to have the three net streams all running in the background and then attach the desired one into the stage video container on a button press?  I'm targetting iOS 7 devices but I don't know if performance will be an issue.  Or maybe have 3 stage video instances and try to hide/shuffle them at runtime (although I think iOS only has 1 stagevideo instance at a time?)

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Switching between videos mid play

Participant ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using StageVideo to play a video file on iOS (ipad mostly) and it runs ok.  I recently shot some video from 3 different camera angles and so I thought I would try to give the user the flexibility to play the video and switch between camera angles on the fly. 

Is there a 'best' way to do this or has anyone achieved something similar?  I've experimented with just switching the net stream mid flow to play a new file (but this starts again from the beginning).  Ideally I want the transition between streams to be seamless so that dialogue / music etc is not affected.

Is it possible to have the three net streams all running in the background and then attach the desired one into the stage video container on a button press?  I'm targetting iOS 7 devices but I don't know if performance will be an issue.  Or maybe have 3 stage video instances and try to hide/shuffle them at runtime (although I think iOS only has 1 stagevideo instance at a time?)

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 13, 2014 0
Engaged ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why you couldn't have 3 NetStreams going on at the same time and switch between them on the fly. You may encounter memory issues though depending on the length, quality, resolution, and overall file size of the videos. And Im not positive on this but I think that NetStream audio will come through regardless of it being attached to a video object, so be sure to mute the 2 that are on standby.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014 0
Participant ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried 3 net streams and it starts causing the app to slow down so I think there might be a performance issue. And there is also the audio issue where it keeps playing the audio track even when you switch to another stream which suggests that possibly some resources are held on to when you change stream - this makes me a bit nervous as there may be things going on in the background of stage video or assumptions that have been made that aren't obvious at the actionscript level.

I am working with one net stream now and then just changing the source file mid flow - with a seek immediately afterwards this gives almost uninterrupted video which is almost good enough.  Ideally I'd like it to operate like a live mixer but based on my previous experiences with StageVideo (where I spent a lot of time getting to a solution that worked) I might quit while I am relatively not as far behind as I was.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014 0
Engaged ,
May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that. You might be able to add some kind of cover up or animation UI while the switch is being made so it seems like the short delay is on purpose.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2014 0