Highlighted

Testing AIR for iOS on client devices has become more difficult

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I develop iOS apps for a client every so often. After I get the app working on my end, I usually package an .ipa file with a Development Certificate and Provisioning Profile, and send it to them so they can give me feedback or approve the file for upload to the App Store. This time, however, we're having no shortage of problems.

First of all, they used to use iTunes to load the .ipa onto their office iPad, and the "Apps" section of iTunes has recently been removed. Is there an officially sanctioned Adobe AIR solution to this problem, or is it just catch as catch can for the time being?

My client got the impression that it would be easier for him to install an "Ad Hoc" app, so I got him one of those. But he got an error stating that "The executable was signed with invalid entitlements."

They eventually found a computer with an older version of iTunes on it and successfully loaded the file. But clearly this is a suboptimal solution, especially when they have to pass it up to their corporate office for approval.

Any insights or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Testing AIR for iOS on client devices has become more difficult

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I develop iOS apps for a client every so often. After I get the app working on my end, I usually package an .ipa file with a Development Certificate and Provisioning Profile, and send it to them so they can give me feedback or approve the file for upload to the App Store. This time, however, we're having no shortage of problems.

First of all, they used to use iTunes to load the .ipa onto their office iPad, and the "Apps" section of iTunes has recently been removed. Is there an officially sanctioned Adobe AIR solution to this problem, or is it just catch as catch can for the time being?

My client got the impression that it would be easier for him to install an "Ad Hoc" app, so I got him one of those. But he got an error stating that "The executable was signed with invalid entitlements."

They eventually found a computer with an older version of iTunes on it and successfully loaded the file. But clearly this is a suboptimal solution, especially when they have to pass it up to their corporate office for approval.

Any insights or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 02, 2018 0
Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple released a separate version of iTunes for businesses that were using iTunes to install apps, you can download this version at their support link here:

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

I'd recommend uninstalling the newer version of iTunes first, and there can still be some issues switching to this version where you have to manually delete some files left over from the normal version.

I'm not sure about the invalid entitlements, we use Ad Hoc versions ourselves when testing on devices (because there's a big performance difference between a development/debug build and an adhoc/appstore build).  Here's our process if it helps:  We use the Distribution Certificate along with an Ad Hoc Distribution provisioning profile, and you just need to make sure you manually add the client's device UDID in your list of UDIDs when you're creating the provisioning profile or else they won't be able to install it on the device.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Apple Configurator 2 application will let you drag IPAs onto a connected device:

‎Apple Configurator 2 on the Mac App Store

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way I have found is to use http://installrapp.com/

Useful for both testing and distribution of enterprise apps that you don't want to add to the App Store.

Distribution of enterprise apps much easier with Development Certificate and Provisioning Profiles generated from Apple Developer Enterprise Program account.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2018 0