Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use of AIR for generating iOS binaries

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Recently I have been studying the generalities of mobile development, and clearly see that it is kind of difficult to create native applications to target different systems (ios, android, and so on) without rewriting code or getting unresponsive apps.

I already know AS3 and Flex, so AIR would be the way to go, however, after searching for hours, I have not been able to determine whether I have to use XCode mandatorily to target iOS devices with AIR, thus requiring a macbook or the like...

Is it possible to use AIR to target iOS devices without the need of MacOS? if so, why is that possible? In my opinion, Apple is always trying you to buy their stuff and this wouldn't be an exception.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can entirely develop an AIR app under Windows, right down to having a final IPA file to submit. You’ll need a Mac, or Mac OS, to use Application Loader in order to upload the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer Colin

I had in my mind that in order to generate a binary, you needed (at least) some runtime libraries of the -target- operating system.  In this case, AIR probably goes down directly to underlying chipset...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it’s more devious than that. The AIR SDK has a copy of the iOS libraries it will need, even if you’re on Windows,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines