Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using AIR for a modern HTML5 app

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

We're in the process of planning out an app that would end up being a 'packaged' app that can run on mobile (iOS + Android) and desktop (Mac and Windows).

HTML5/CSS/Javascript is our natural choice for developing a responsive UI that looks good on the various screens, in portrait and landscape.

I'm aware of tools like PhoneGap that can help package an HTML5 app for mobile devices, but what about desktop?

My concerns are that the WebKit engine used by the AIR compiler is not up to date enough to handle a modern app that requires:

- Responsive  framework such as Bootstrap, that uses more recent HTML tags and CSS attributes

- Video playback with controls

Perhaps StageWebView would be the way to go in this regards, but I don't know enough about the limitations. I'm just looking for basic confirmation that AIR could be used in my situation. If not I'd be interested in hearing ideas for other HTML5 desktop app packagers. Thanks!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can pass a Boolean to the constructor of the StageWebView class where you can tell AIR to either use the webkit which is embedded in AIR [new StageWebView(false)] or make use of the webkit which is system's default [new StageWebView(true)].

Using "true" for the constructor I have so far not encountered any problems in displaying complex HTML(5)/CSS/JavaScript content within the StageWebView.

Please bear in mind that this is an opinion based answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines