Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Version Numbers and Build Numbers in IOS and on Android confusing

Participant ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have 5 apps on the Appstore and on Google Play.

Im developing with Adobe Flash CC 2015 with the latest Air SDK

I think I do not understand exactly what the differnce between Version Number and Version Label is and I think that IOS and Google are using different fields.

My problem:

IOS:

I have created a new Version for ex.   1.0.20  i can upload IPA files with 1.0.20  and I use the Versionlabel field in the descriptor file as buildnumbers.

so I have   Version: 1.0.20   Versionlabel:1.1.1

Version 1.0.20    Versionlabel 1.1.2 and so on

this works and when Im ready with testing in submit and let Apple testing

Android Google Play

Here I have my problem   I read in the forum that Google uses Both Versiion and Versionlabel

But here I have to use Versionlabel as the real version and Versionnr as Build ?!

So  I had:

Published APP

Version 2.0.0      Versionlabel:        empty

New Beta Test:

Version 2.2.2      Versionlabel 2.0.0   As I thought  2.2.2 is the build number

I uploaded APK and saw that there is a new Version of my APP  2.2.2  and not 2.0.0 with Buildnumber 2.2.2.

Now I have the problem I cannot delete the uploaded APK and I can not upload a new one with version 2.0.0   with Buildnumber 2.2.3

Im stuck at this point.

Please help

Michael

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael,

In case of Android <versionNumber> maps to versionCode and this is used to check if update is available or not.

While <versionLabel> maps to versionName and is only for representation purpose to show to the users.

To update your application you can keep versionLabel to any value but versionNumber should always be increased.

Hope this Helps!

Thanks,

Krati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines