• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

versionLabel not working for AIR desktop

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AIR 18, it appears that the versionLabel application descriptor element is not properly mapping to CFBundleShortVersionString for AIR captive runtime OS X apps. Instead, versionNumber is getting listed as the release version number. This is apparent by looking at the Version string reported in Get Info for the application or selecting About This Application menubar selection.

This is the opposite of AIR for iOS, where versionLabel does correctly map to CFBundleVersion and versionLabel maps to CFBundleShortVersionString. This is quite confusing.

Are there guidelines on how to properly set the versionLabel and versionNumber application descriptor elements for AIR 18 desktop apps?

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Thanks for your answer.

Here's what I extrapolate from this:

- Use versionLabel to set the release version for iOS and Android publishing, switch to using versionNumber when publishing to desktop bundle.

- CFBundleVersion cannot be set for desktop AIR apps. This can result in submission issues and slowdowns when submitting to App Store (such as described in How do I set the CFBundleVersion value of my App in Flex).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

There is no change for Desktop apps in AIR 18. It continues to function as is.

versionLabel is now honored for AIR on iOS. For desktop application versionNumber maps to CFBundleShortVersionString.

Let us know if you are facing issues in this.

Thanks,

Krati

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

Here's what I extrapolate from this:

- Use versionLabel to set the release version for iOS and Android publishing, switch to using versionNumber when publishing to desktop bundle.

- CFBundleVersion cannot be set for desktop AIR apps. This can result in submission issues and slowdowns when submitting to App Store (such as described in How do I set the CFBundleVersion value of my App in Flex).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this planning to change?  Everytime we go to release a Desktop build or our AIR app we are going to have to manually modify the generated plist file and then re-codesign the app which is a PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the app descriptor file before you publish the app. Set versionLabel to the number you want people to see, and versionNumber to the number you want Apple to see. The above mentioned problem may have been fixed in the three major releases since June 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue as described is still a flaw in the latest AIR 21 beta. versionLabel flat out fails to work for desktop.

Hand editing the plist file in the application bundle is the workaround to manually address this. There are so many things that need hand editing after publishing an application bundle anyhow (proper deep code sign, removal of unused DRM libraries, adding in high resolution application icons, adding proper entitlements for compliance with sandboxing requirements) that this isn't a big problem, just a confusing inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Colin! Long time...  yes thanks. I'm lazy and would like to avoid extra thinking. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines