Exit

VideoTexture

Explorer ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

01. Using latest Beta SDK 18.

02. Testing under Windows XP.

03. Running on decent [Quad Core 2.4MHz] system.

04. Using decent [NVidia GE Froce 9600 GSO] video card.

05. Stage3D Context reports it is using Direct9X [Standard] driver that does support Video Texture.

I should first report how pleased I am to be able to add this capability to my Molehill application.

I should also report that my test bed checks to see what happens to actual Frame Per Second performance whenever I make incremental enhancements to that test bed, and layering a billboard object on a scene that already has a dozen other objects each with some type of shader behavior, only causes a small dip from the 60 FPS baseline.

BUT

The software reports that it is using software to accomplish the creation/upload of the VideoTexture frames, and I am taking about a 5-8% hit in increased CPU consumption when I add the feature.

SO

Going back to the very beginnings of pre-release Molehill [circa 2011] when each of your release notes would talk about what feature sub-set went with what profile, I cannot find anything anywhere that you have published that would tell me why my configuration is not able to use GPU resources to accomplish the rendering.  What video cards, with what driver releases, using what profiles will result in hardware versus software rendering of VideoTextures?  In other words, how can we test to know whether we have a bug, or are simply seeing what is expected for a given test bed?

Thank you for continuing to support the Desktop.  While everyone is excited about mobile, mobile is not where all the action is.  If no one is focused on the days, not too far ahead, when we ought to have wall-sized displays in the home -- not just on TV sports shows --  then someone ought to get that focus because we will use AIR with whatever the most advanced Stage3D support is available to drive those immersive experiences.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it possible to get a definitive answer from the product manager as to what the required hardware/driver combination is to get GPU-accelerated Video Texture renduring?

Is it possible to get updated definitions of the new op codes, registers and features for AGAL 3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines