Highlighted

When StageVideo is being rendered by software, black screen and audio only on Android. When hardware accelerated, everything works.

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We developed an Android app using Adobe AIR. We basically loop HD and FullHD H.264 videos using the StageVideo resource, that takes benefit from hardware acceleration.

This app is running perfectly on our Yarvik Noble tablet and on our Tronsmart MK908. On the Vega sometimes we get a black screen with audio, but on some other times it works perfectly. There is no pattern or specific video, it sometimes happens and then gets back to normal.

We did some other tests and found out that the Vega swaps between HARDWARE ACCELERATION (works perfectly) and SOFTWARE (black screen with audio). The strange thing about it is that the same video sometimes is decoded in one way and some other times in the other way.

Meanwhile our other hardwares always decode the vídeos using HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

I shot a small video showing the problem. As soon the app is opened, the video on the tablet (muted) is perfectly displayed while the TV (not muted) displays a black screen and just the audio. A very curious fact is that there is no pattern to repeat the problem. Sometimes the first video works and other videos fail.

www.dropbox.com/s/wlq2vhsu4lb9so2/IMG_7104.mp4?dl=0

All the Vega S89 units we own are Android 4.4.2, Build 108k4 and Kernel 3.10.33.

That's the apk and source-code we are using:

www.dropbox.com/s/r08yp0u7x61cmr5/VideoTest%20app.zip?dl=0

I appreciate some help.

Best Regards,

Peter

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

When StageVideo is being rendered by software, black screen and audio only on Android. When hardware accelerated, everything works.

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We developed an Android app using Adobe AIR. We basically loop HD and FullHD H.264 videos using the StageVideo resource, that takes benefit from hardware acceleration.

This app is running perfectly on our Yarvik Noble tablet and on our Tronsmart MK908. On the Vega sometimes we get a black screen with audio, but on some other times it works perfectly. There is no pattern or specific video, it sometimes happens and then gets back to normal.

We did some other tests and found out that the Vega swaps between HARDWARE ACCELERATION (works perfectly) and SOFTWARE (black screen with audio). The strange thing about it is that the same video sometimes is decoded in one way and some other times in the other way.

Meanwhile our other hardwares always decode the vídeos using HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

I shot a small video showing the problem. As soon the app is opened, the video on the tablet (muted) is perfectly displayed while the TV (not muted) displays a black screen and just the audio. A very curious fact is that there is no pattern to repeat the problem. Sometimes the first video works and other videos fail.

www.dropbox.com/s/wlq2vhsu4lb9so2/IMG_7104.mp4?dl=0

All the Vega S89 units we own are Android 4.4.2, Build 108k4 and Kernel 3.10.33.

That's the apk and source-code we are using:

www.dropbox.com/s/r08yp0u7x61cmr5/VideoTest%20app.zip?dl=0

I appreciate some help.

Best Regards,

Peter

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 08, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I watched your video recording showing how the TV screen went black for video. We are noticing similar bugs with Android and video going black. We hope that Adobe can fix your black video bug as well as our black video bugs. We have found Adobe AIR SDK 15 to reproduce the black video for us 70% of the time, but SDK 14 only reproduces the black video 1% of the time.

I would suggest that you create a new bug in the bugbase.adobe.com, and post back here with the bug number so I can help vote on it. Adobe would appreciate your example recording and the source code that you linked so that they can reproduce the issue in house.

Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2014 0
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Jeff! I opened a bug on Adobe's Bugbase.

Bug#3836848 - Android: When StageVideo is being rendered by software, black screen and audio only.

Cheers,

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble in AIR 15 & 16 getting live video from an FMS stream to appear, and I wonder if this is the problem.

Peter, how do you tell if StageVideo is using hardware acceleration or in software?

UPDATE - I see from the sample code you uploaded to the bug that you check StageVideoEvent.status when StageVideoEvent.RENDER_STATE is fired, so I'll give that a try.

UPDATE2 - I'm getting "software" from StageVideoEvent.status, so that appears to be my problem. Thanks for identifying this, Peter!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2015 0