• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where can I find the filename list for iOS image Default.png ?

Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a really hard time finding where information is scattered on Adobe. Does anyone know the definitive list of supported Default image filename for iOS publishing?

Here is what I was using previously to support up to iPhone5 in portrait orientation:

Default.png

Default@2x.png

Default-568h@2x.png

Default-Portrait.png

Default-Portrait@2x.png

I'd like to add iPhone 6 and 6+

thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Hi Rene,

To address all concerns and difficulties faced due of newly added launch images on iOS, we have written an official blog. Please find it here > Launch Images on iOS with Adobe AIR

Hope this helps !

Thanks,

Jitender

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default-375w-667h@2x.png (750×1334 px, iPhone 6)

Default-414w-736h@3x.png (1242×2208 px, iPhone 6+)

It's hard to find an updated official filename list by Adobe, but these two will do the trick for iPhone 6 and 6+ on an iPhone only targeted app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just place the images in the "root" folder and add them to the included files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest information I can find from Apple doesn't have all the sizes in the list. But, looking at the apps in the iPhone Simulator shows a list of them:

Default-375w-667h@2x~iphone.png

Default-414w-736h@3x~iphone.png

Default-568h@2x~iphone.png

Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png

Default-Landscape~ipad.png

Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png

Default-Portrait~ipad.png

Default@2x~iphone.png

Note how Apple include the optional ~iphone or ~ipad part, which I know some AIR users have found made a difference to launch screen glitches. Also curious that Apple don't include Default.png. The Default@2x.png version is most likely used for non-Retina iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌You're right, Colin. If you create apps for both iPad and iPhone, you should rename your iPad Default images to append ~ipad to prevent the 6 plus from picking those up (they override the 3x image).

The Default.png is used by iPhone 3G, and newer versions of Air only support iPhone 4 and up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3G may be too old, but the 3gs can run iOS 6.1.6, and is non-Retina. AIR still runs on that, doesn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌No, according to the requirements, you need at least iPod4/iPhone4/iPad2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That page lists 'supported' devices, not hardware limited requirements. Older devices can still run AIR apps compiled with very recent SDKs, though now with the latest SDKs that include/require 64bit support you certainly would limit it to those that can run at least iOS 5.1.1 (which is the first version that can run an app with 64-bit platform in it). I am quite sure up to AIR 15, even iOS 4.3 was compatible (which was still the Minimum IOS setting that gets inserted into the plist)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colin Thanks for that list.

I've never used the appended -iphone and -ipad in universal apps. Somehow it "just worked". But good to know the iphone6 has issues otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rene,

To address all concerns and difficulties faced due of newly added launch images on iOS, we have written an official blog. Please find it here > Launch Images on iOS with Adobe AIR

Hope this helps !

Thanks,

Jitender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jitender

FANTASTIC! Thank you for posting that. Hopefully it can climb up into Google's top 10 search results for "Adobe Air Default image". Currently the best result is this old page that maybe should redirect to yours.  

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/launch-images-ios.html

Again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up until now, I would include these images for a landscape only app:

Default-568h@2x.png

Default-Landscape.png

Default-Landscape@2x.png

Default.png

Default@2x.png

The Default-Landscape.png would appear on non Retina iPad, and would be correct whichever way you held the device. Likewise Default-Landscape@2x.png would do the same for Retina iPad.

According to your article, Default-Landscape@2x doesn't exist any more, and Default-Landscape is now specifically for Landscape Left.

Is this correct, or can we continue to only have Default-Landscape & Default-Landscape@2x?

My guess/hope is that the article is wrong, and that there is both a Default-Landscape@2x still, and a Default-LandscapeLeft, and that Default-Landscape is not specifically for Landscape Left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the confusion here, it's not that Default-Landscape@2x.png doesn't exists. The blog depicts one of the possible combination that developers can use to have a proper working application considering orientation of device.

if someone wish to include only Default-Landscape@2x.png instead of orientation specific images like Default-LandscapeLeft.png and Default-LandscapeRight.png then it can be done.

Thanks,

Jitender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do the launch images not support jpeg? I found that if I rename a Default.jpeg to Default.png it works with the compressed jpeg image on the test device, but when I submit to Apple, Application loaders gives an error that the .png is in the wrong file format. So it seems technically possible to use .jpegs, but it is not supported by Air?

I find that all the splash screens in png format take a considerable amount of disk space, they make our ipas more than twice as big. Is there no way to reduce this file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if Apple supports jpegs or not (I've only seen them mentioning pngs like here: Expected App Behaviors), but if you want smaller pngs you can use tinypng.com, or manually strip out any transparency etc. in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any chance you can update your page to include iPad Pro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was tired of exporting and keeping track of all of the app icons so I created an extension to create the default icons here. It will create all the icons for you from your main high resolution image (PSD). I don't know how to price it so it's temporarily on sale. Please send me any feedback (you don't have to tweet about it to get the discount).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, definitely worth 5$ to me. Nice timesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice but I already use the free template/action from Pixel Resort.

http://appicontemplate.com/

However, this thread is not about the icons but about the Default images shown during app initialization.

Thanks,

RB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines