Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 64 bits official release with support for ANE's

Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a desktop application using AIR shared runtime and AIR update framework that works flawless with a few drawbacks of the shared runtime nature.

I'm now slowling moving to AIR captiva runtime, using the first desktop ANE (that only works on captiva runtime) and as addition, solving a few AIR shared runtime drawbacks and as another addition is compatible with Windows 64 bits, because captiva runtime is also a requirement.

With captiva runtime, I will need to build a new setup and bundle C++ distributable for 32 bits, because it's a requirements of this ANE's.

It will be a waste if soon we will get the official AIR Windows 64 bits and I need to bundle C++ distributable for 64 bits or both.

I already did a few tests on AIR 32 bits vs AIR 64 bits without any issues identified.

A few questions (fingers crossed to get an answer):

1. Did you plan to add support from ANE's on AIR for Windows 64 bits ?

2. With AIR Windows 64 bits, Windows for 32 bit's will be out of the game or this AIR will be compatible with both 32 and 64 at the same time or will we have 2 versions to compile ?

3. Do you plan to finally release the official AIR Windows 64 bits soon enought ?

Thank you,

Hugo.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hugo, Chris Campbell once told on the Flash online conference that they will probably keep 64 bits an unofficial extension and they do not plan to remove 32 bits. I do not know how that impacts future native extension support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rewb0rn, thank you for the info.

Keep the 32 bits makes all the sense because there are thousands 32 bits PC's, also with Windows 10!

We always see the 32 bits and 64 bits options when it cames to download Apps outside of stores, so it's a normal thing.

But keep the 64 bits as an unofficial does not make any sense at all!

Why do they do that ?

The only reason I could even imagin is that they have to much afraid to release as official as broke something but it's captive mode only so that shouldn't happen.

From my tests, I didn't see any reason to not release as official and keep the 64 bits version align with the 32 bits version. The work is already done ! The only missing feature is the support for ANE's but also I don't know if is an easy thing or not.

Anyway, it's not a big big issue for me (the worst case scenario 1 GB RAM is enought) but I know that it's a big issue for others.

For me, it's more a marketing thing.

Anyway, thank you for the explanation.

From your words, I see that I shouldn't expect to have the 64 bit's. Will be probably always a second citizen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree that ANEs are a requirement if they want to make this a real thing. Also I don't know how inofficial it really can be, considering that it's mentioned in the release notes and also on the SDK page. Sounds pretty official I could imagine that they release this as a first version to get some feedback on development and add native extension support later if developers are adopting it. That would at least fit their general strategy like they did with Android TV or Apple TV.

I see you also posted in the Beta forums, which is probably the right place to give feedback on the development and have your voice heard.

Kind regards,

Ruben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines