• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workers and Speed!!

Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my AIR application is a HUGE number cruncher.  But since it is running on one thread, the deployed version still takes about an hour to process my data.  If at all possible, I would like to get this down to about 15 minutes so I could run it several times a day.  My computer has two XEON Quad Cores and almost 24GB of RAM, so I am not worried about overworking my machine. Currently, my main application is running at about 150MB.

So I am interested in speeding up my application using Workers. I have never tried using Workers to increase speed, so I wanted to ask people with experience with Workers if you think it is worth the effort.  By splitting the processing load to four threads, do you think I could whittle the processing time down to 15 minutes, or is there a point at which adding more threads just increases overhead, and therefore you don't gain much? Or is it hugely advantageous?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Worker - Adobe ActionScript® 3 (AS3 ) API Reference

A worker allows you to execute code "in the background" at the same time that other operations are running in another worker (including the main swf's worker). In a non-worker context some operations, for example processing a large set of data in a loop, take so long to execute that they prevent the main application thread from updating the screen quickly enough. This can cause stuttering or freezing the screen.

You can try fast memory operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2016 Jul 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of fast memory operations with regard to Flex.  Could you give me a little insight, or perhaps a link of something to read regarding this subject?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For fast memory - CrossBridge — CrossBridge

btw, your app is online based or offline? Because as you said - AIR and than Flex ...

Most best way to achive native speed it's develop Native Extension. What kind of computations do you require and what the OS you used with ur AIR app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My app is Adobe AIR for desktop. I plan mostly to use in on PC, but may have a few Apple users as well. The kind of computations that are required involve a lot of trigonemetric functions on Very large ArrayCollections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case - best choice it's ANE - Adobe Native Extension. You can send data to C++ at once and it will compute it and sent it back to you. We done physics few years ago that showing us 90% speed up

But you must send a lot of data and not 1 by 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

btw, you can show that functions in as3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines