Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Worst performance of AIR for Desktop on PC

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2014 Mar 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using AIR for mostly developing Android projects for my clients recently. And so far it's been pretty good for that.

I have noticed before and specifically with my current project, which is also simple branded Android app for a client, the performence of AIR on Desktop is worst of all my Android devices. When testing the app on PC, (ctrl + enter in Flash Pro) when simple animations starts, AIR takes 100% CPU on all cores on my i5 Dell with Intel HD4000 and Nvidia GF630M.

I was expecting it to run supper smooth on PC, while surprisingly, the app performs smooth on almost 3 years old Samsung Galaxy S2, then Galaxy Tab2, then chinese tab, and lastly comes PC, performace wise. For mobile, I have set the app to use GPU, and while testing on PC, I have tried all the "Render mode" options, but performance is exactly same.

I am not using Stage3D/Starling. It's just classic Flash, with timeline animations, and AS3 document class to make it all interactive.

Is it a must to use Stage3D/Starling combo to get same performance as on mobile, even for classic timeline style apps?

I thought Flash was getting improved on PC the most, but it feels like other way around 😕

// chall3ng3r //

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see different performance with control-shift-enter? There are differences in the two with regard to whether hardware acceleration gets used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I have tried debug and regular test, no diffirence.

I have noticed that as three timeline animations stop one by one (they are not too big graphically, it's just a slot machine app), performance gets better. But, still not compareable to GSG2. I'm not using any filters, I did applied the motion-blur in Photoshop in alternate gfx, and just use that when in running state.

Edit: also, i've tried with latest beta build, and latest release build. it's same.

// chall3ng3r //

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines