• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your binary is not optimized for iPhone 5 (ITMS-90096) error when submitting to apple

Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error out of the blue when trying to update my app. I have spent a lot of time including every dimension with proper naming conventions of the launch image with no luck. I looked through this post: Re: “Your binary is not optimized for iPhone 5” (ITMS-90096) when submitting

And confirmed that the images are indeed in the package. I'm using Animate to package the ipa for distribution to the app store. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

-Cybo

P.S. I have to add that the cumulative time I've spent troubleshooting Application loader errors when deploying to iOS is so frustrating! I never have issues to this degree with Android.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

re: Missing Asset Catalog

This is the Assets.car you need to include.

If you have already created it by following the Adobe release notes instructions then you may have forgotten to also package it.

1) Place file in root of your project - where you have your Main.as

2) in your app.xml

<!-- iOS specific capabilities -->

<iPhone>

<assetsCar>Assets.car</assetsCar>

</iPhone>

3) Then, you also need to add it as you did with your splash screens via the + button.

re: splash and individual files.

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've narrowed it down to a bug in AIR. I targeted AIR 27 and the binary was accepted by Apple. So this must be an issue with the packaging code around the launch images in the AIR 28 SDK for iOS. Argh this cost me 5+ hours. Now I know to try that troubleshooting step sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added this to the adobe bug tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your package include a file named Default-568h@2x.png? If it doesn't, that would be why you get the iPhone 5 error. I'm not sure why AIR 27 would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely does include it, and in my troubleshooting I created every possible size. They really need to automate that with a tool. There are some online, but it's so silly the guidelines they give. It's like, who has time for that? It's exactly what programming and automation are for. Anyway rant over...

This build was accepted fine before when using AIR 27, nothing changed in the assets. It turns out the problem was AIR 28. As soon as I switched back and targeted 27, the build was accepted by apple review / app loader. My guess is that there is a bug in 28 with the creating of the manifests etc.. via the launch assets and it's breaking the apple compliance tests. But if no one else is experiencing it that is weird. Have you deployed to ios using air 28?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your image name

Default-568h@2x.png ? or

Default-568h@2x~iphone.png ?

Because it should be Default-568h@2x~iphone.png

I have successfully passed app loader submission with AIR 28

The list of launch images was updated in December to coincide with AIR28 and iOS 11.

Launch Images on iOS with Adobe AIR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi el111,

Thank you for your reply. That did indeed work! The odd thing is I had that naming and then I changed it after I got the error to the alternate naming I found online which Colin specified. It seems there is a lot of out dated or inconstant info for the naming requirements for these images. Thanks for the link also, I went ahead and made all those files. It's so cumbersome! And then since I'm using animate to publish iOS, to add each asset I have to click the plus button for each one and browse to it. I think this area of animate / air needs some work. Even using the command line buid adt would require listing every file in the command. They could allow a folder and behind the scenes ADT could package the "splash" folder contents in the root src of the app. For animate, even dragging the images onto the publishing window for assets would be a lot easier than clicking plus for everyone - you start to lose track which ones you've added. Perhaps I'll make a recommendation somewhere. Not sure why AIR 27 worked, there must be some update as you say in December that changed something and made it stricter in 28.

Thanks again for your help!

-cybo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this did pass the app loader gate, but then got rejected with this error from itunes connect:

Missing Asset Catalog - Your app is missing the asset catalog file

I'm working on it now referencing this thread: Error message when submitting an app to the AppStore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Missing Asset Catalog

This is the Assets.car you need to include.

If you have already created it by following the Adobe release notes instructions then you may have forgotten to also package it.

1) Place file in root of your project - where you have your Main.as

2) in your app.xml

<!-- iOS specific capabilities -->

<iPhone>

<assetsCar>Assets.car</assetsCar>

</iPhone>

3) Then, you also need to add it as you did with your splash screens via the + button.

re: splash and individual files.

You can package a folder's contents using adt by using "." at the end eg

/my/splash/folder/.

I don't use Animate but would have assumed you could use ctrl or shift to select multiple files. If not that is a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished making the assets.car in xcode. Which wasn't easy either to setup with all the keys code signing etc... I don't use xcode much.

Thing is with animate, I cannot add specifics to the app.xml as the program writes it automatically under the hood when you build. I may have to resort to command line ADT to build. Argh, this goes on and on with AIR 28. Perhaps I should stick with 27 for now for iOS until they streamline this in a future release. You think they will?

Ya, no shift or ctrl action, and yes it's painful!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assets.car was tricky to get right - but once it's done it's done unless you change app icons often.

There is this online tool but I haven't used it.@

http://applicationloader.net/appuploader/icontool.php

Colin Holgate is a power user of Animate so he may be able to help you with the app-xml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I can edit the xml after animate writes it. It looks like animate reads the existing xml and appends to it. Neato.

Thanks for you help el111!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.

Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, not yet. Argh. I'm about to give up on this. Do you think future releases of AIR will make it so you don't need to do this xcode assets.car stuff?

I'm getting this error now from app loader. I opened the bundle and indeed the Assets.car is in there. Perhaps xcode isn't creating it right? I think all my keys are in order in xcode but that could be the issue?

ss.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know honestly. These requirements come from Apple

Have you also included the icons in your app.xml ?

eg

<icon>

<image76x76>icon76.png</image76x76>

<image120x120>icon120.png</image120x120>

<image152x152>icon152.png</image152x152>

<image167x167>icon167.png</image167x167>

<image180x180>icon180.png</image180x180>

</icon>

This is what worked for me.

In Xcode when building Assets.car project I selected "Generic iOS Device" from the drop down not simulator or the real device.

I selected my provisioning profile for both debug and release

I gave it a bundleIdentifier of com.mycompany.AssetsCar (dunno if this matters)

I then ran Product > Build For > Profiling

I then copied Assets.car out of /Build/Products/Release-iphoneos/whatever.app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I have all of those added in the assets window and confirmed they are in the app.xml and in the ipa final package. However the names of my images are not the same as what you have. I think it may be animate's packaging is the issue. I have a ton of icons sizes to cover all bases. At this point I'm sticking with 27 as I can't waste any more time on getting it to build properly. Hopefully this is fixed in a future release without manually compiling an asset.car. Thanks again for your help. I'll check back, if need be and try more troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have needed this as well:

<image1024x1024>icon1024.png</image1024x1024>

I haven't yet had to do an Assets.car, so it's useful for me to read how you're all using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need

<image1024x1024>icon1024.png</image1024x1024>

It's all in the release notes instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that's true in the Assets.car approach, I'm not sure. It was needed previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note el111, that product -> build for profiling didn't actually work in my case. I had to use product -> build as per the release notes for it to build successfully. Otherwise the .app file wasn't able to open in finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please go through steps to create Assets.car and package with your swf as mentioned under section "iOS SDK Upgrade" in AIR 28 release notes

Let us know if you still face issues.

Thanks,

Krati | Adobe AIR Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krati,

I did do those steps. I may try again and try using the command line to build the ipa to see if that fixes it. I'll post here when I do, but at this point it's just taking up too much time so I need to switch tasks for now.

Can I ask, in future AIR releases will the creation of the assets.car be handled by the ADT tool? As the existing method is rather cumbersome.

Also, is there somewhere, perhaps here, I can recommend that in Animate the interface for adding assets is improved (right now it's a plus sign button that is very slow to use). Further, the ADT tool could take a "launchimage" folder for all the launch images and then under the hood put all the images in the root src folder of the ipa package. This eliminates the user from listing all of them in the command line.

Thanks,

-Cybo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please recheck if you have selected "Generic iOS Device" as the build target. Refer ERROR ITMS-90022/90023 When Submitting to Apple

xcode.png

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krati,

I rebuilt the assets.car, I needed to make some adjustments to my keychain for it to build but your troubleshooting did help. I'm certain I did select generic device before and it built successfully, but it's possible I did not as I did notice whenever I restart xcode and reload the project it seems to default to target iphone 8.

Thanks for your help, my app has now successfully passed the application loader gate!

-cybo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Glad to know that it worked.!

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines