• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate CC 2017 - How do I export to animated GIF?

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have wasted so much time trying to simply export a basic fla movie to an animated GIF - there isn't a single tutorial on the internet that explains how to do this in Animate CC 2017, even Adobe help is useless here.

Please can someone enlighten me as to how this is done. All I ever achieve is a single GIF frame no matter what I do.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

The feature is for exporting the main timeline, if you put your movieclip animation into the main timeline, it should export ok.

SWF appears to work because it's looping the timeline, and the movieclip progresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're in an FLA that has an animation, and you choose File/Export/Export Animated GIF..., do you not see the same animation in the dialog that appears? There are play controllers in the lower right, where you can also set whether it will loop forever.

Assuming that works, if you click the Preview button in the lower left, do you then get a browser window that is showing the animation?

If you do you can either just drag that graphic to your desktop, or back in Animate you can click the Save button in the bottom right of the dialog.

Let us know at which stage something fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin

It doesn't work at the very first option - the export dialog. I see the player controls but there is no more than a single frame so nothing to animate and the browser preview just displays this static frame.

I have an animation as a movie clip symbol which is placed on the stage in a single frame - this doesn't export as an animation. If I open up the movie clip symbol to expose the timeline and layers and do the same thing I'm again presented with just one frame.

I've tried selecting all the frames and setting the editing markers to encompass the entire timeline but still - one frame.

Export to SWF (which I miss enormously) and I have my animation. Export to Canvas JS and I get my animation (but the javascript responsive code causes flashing on Android Chrome - but that's another story as you know and the reason why I'm trying animated GIF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature is for exporting the main timeline, if you put your movieclip animation into the main timeline, it should export ok.

SWF appears to work because it's looping the timeline, and the movieclip progresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to do that? I created the animation but it is nested in the Layer 1 and when I export, it only exports the first image. I'm new to this and I don't know how tot put it all on the main timeline or export it. When tested in a browser, it works fine and I can see the animation. Also I'm unable to export as a video because Adobe media encoder is not installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried that and it didnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yippee! That has worked thanks Colin. The only problem is the resulting GIF weighs in at 1.3Mb compared with 3Kb for the SWF and 10Kb for the javascript version that flashes on and off on Android Chrome and so is a deal breaker - disappointing to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question appears answered, however, what I have come across is when exporting gif animations it will only play the animation on the main timeline -- not embedded "nested" movie clips with their own timeline. Has anyone else found this to be true and found a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the same problem, when exporting animation it works on the "scene" level (for instance the main character is crossing the whole scene) but it is not animating the single parts of the character (like arms or legs that I had previously nested in it), on the "character" level.

I precise that doesn't work when exporting in GIF format but if I launch "control / test" on the main bar it works good (but it is only a preview on browser).

Thanks for helping me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In newer versions of Animate CC you can export any timeline to gif animation just by being in the specific timeline while going to Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to do that? I created the animation but it is nested in the Layer 1 and when I export, it only exports the first image. I'm new to this and I don't know how tot put it all on the main timeline or export it. When tested in a browser, it works fine and I can see the animation. Also I'm unable to export as a video because Adobe media encoder is not installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines