basic questions

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are able to answer any of the questions below! 

So for the brush tool, I select, "Paint fills" which apparently only works if you have a shape with an outline on it. (So a simple red square with a black outline). The idea is that if I then take my brush tool, having selected "Paint fills," then i can draw a big line over the square. Anything that crosses over the square will vanish leaving the lines on the outside of it, and it will also break down the outline of the square. However when I draw anything, it just disappears. Why?

When trying to add a gradient, I open the "color" tab and select "linear" or "radial" gradient. However when I use the eyedropper tool, the color selector goes back to "solid" color as opposed to "gradient".

When arranging overlapping shape order all the "bring to front" "send to back" etc options are greyed out. They are not on locked layers, they are not on seperate layers. The shapes themselves are not locked. How do I arrange shapes easily? It seems to just decide whether or not something is at the top or bottom without my say so....

I don’t understand why anyone would use this program to create assets. The drawing/brush options are so fiddly there is no straight forward way of drawing in this program!

Can anyone explain why they would prefer this program to something else like photoshop of illustrator?

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you're just using animate to create drawing assets, start with an as3 project, not an html5/canvas project.  then let us know what doesn't work for you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can anyone explain why they would prefer this program to something else like photoshop of illustrator?"

For people who are well-acquainted and comfortable with the program these tools are more versatile and faster to produce assets than the programs you mention.

For production it is best to produce all vector artwork in Flash/Animate and only use external programs for raster backgrounds. Creating structures suitable for animation as you you design/produce the artwork is incomparable to convoluted workflows that require importation and constant external editing.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Powertools Team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • "The idea is that if I then take my brush tool, having selected "Paint fills," then i can draw a big line over the square. Anything that crosses over the square will vanish leaving the lines on the outside of it, and it will also break down the outline of the square. However when I draw anything, it just disappears. Why?"

Most likely because you're drawing with Object Drawing Mode turned on. If so, Paint Fills will not work, turn it off in the properties panel or the toolbar (the icon right above brush mode) then try again. From Animate 21.5 onwards Paint Fills doesn't paint on empty areas anymore and will work in Object Mode as well: https://youtu.be/iY78Fl633Zo

• "When trying to add a gradient, I open the "color" tab and select "linear" or "radial" gradient. However when I use the eyedropper tool, the color selector goes back to "solid" color as opposed to "gradient"."

I can't see this issue on my end. It could be that you have Lock-Fill turned on, which applies gradients to shapes relative to their position on stage, so depending on where you're drawing in your screen you might not notice the gradient effect. This can also be turned off from the properties or the toolbar.

• "When arranging overlapping shape order all the "bring to front" "send to back" etc options are greyed out. They are not on locked layers, they are not on seperate layers. The shapes themselves are not locked. How do I arrange shapes easily?"

Sounds like another Object Drawing Mode issue. Drawing objects will always appear on top of raw shapes, you can change the order between drawing objects and groups but not raw shapes since they're "flattened" and so will always appear on the back. Here's a brief explanation on what object drawing does and when to use it: https://youtu.be/NgLPQpmBiNQ

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines