• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you resize or move layer mask object by action?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a layer mask using a rectangle symbol to hide the elements in the masked layer underneath. I made the rectangle just 20 px wide so that it doesn't cover the elements and the elements don't show up by default. My plan is to click a button on the web page to make the rectangle symbol 120 px wide so that it covers the elements and display them. I wrote the following code...

var _this = this;
_this.button1.on('click', function(){ 
/* button1 is a button symbol instance on stage)*/
_this.rectangle1.width = 120; 
/* rectangle1 is a rectangle graphic symbol instance on the layer mask)*/
});

unfortunately, the elements didn't show up! Is my code wrong? Or the objects used as a mask can't be modified this way by an event handler after the HTML5Canvas got published? If I can modify any instance by button click action, why can't I do that to an instance located on a mask layer? Is it a bug or limitation? I have seen people using movieclips as a mask for a dynamic tween effect and it did its masking task perfectly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mask layer will REVEAL the objects it covers and mask anything it doesn't cover. It sounds like you may have done the opposite? As long as the mask is only clipped to the layer holding the relevant objects then it won't affect anything else. Perhaps I've misunderstood but I believe this may be your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When a Canvas document is published, any symbol or symbols on a mask layer are flattened into a single shape object. If the symbols are tweened, they're turned into a sequence of shapes. Since shapes don't have names, there's no way to directly address them. There are ways to indirectly address them, but they're unofficial, undocumented, and really not recommended.

If you want to dynamically alter a mask, the correct way is to dynamically apply the mask at runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines