• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

es6, the future and CreateJs

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any roadmap going ahead, (as es5 will be whittled out over the next decade), with Animate and CreateJs, being that the CreateJs libraries are all in es5, and the creators of the lib have stopped supporting it  (because they themselves received no support from Adobe)? Will Adobe be making their own CJS lib? Any iformation would be apprecaited as the company I work for has to think in longer lifecycles than just a few years. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps under the impression that ES5 code is going to stop working in browsers, ever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, a company I work for is certainly considering it. Mind you that they think ahead like 10 years. And the committment that they need to make is to update thousands of very large pages to compilant code (if they would have to fully migrate to es6). And while a large portion of the codebase we will be using will be in es6, having some libs in es5, seemed, possibly problematic in say, 10 years.

And, what's more, there is a significant amount of other's who are concerned, who are looking specifically at CJS. So, if you have any thoughts, we'd love to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JavaScript/ECMAScript, to the best of my knowledge, has never broken backward compatibility with any previous versions. It's rather obvious why this would be the case, since any break in backward compatibility would immediately render potentially millions of web sites nonfunctional. That's why modern browsers can still run JavaScript from the mid-90s perfectly well. The nature of the web demands that the language must maintain 100% backward compatibility. That's why all potentially breaking changes in its behavior are firewalled behind strict mode.

If you want to worry about something, worry about changes to the browser DOM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Look at HTML and CSS for example... the web moves at such a slow pace of innovation and these technologies are all so locked in at this point that I cannot ever see any of teh 3 not being supported - even in older "versions" of these languages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for your thoughts on that. I/we appreciate them. That said, we have an issue in that our entire framework has migrated over to es6 modular design. And, some of the compilers are balking heavily at piling in "es5" code. Specifically the es5 CreateJS libs. And while, yes I understand that we have made our own debacle here; v2 of CJS was specifically going to address es6. However the dev has now stopped. So I guess my question should have really been: Does Adobe have any indication of making libs that they utilize in their products more compatible with modern methodologies for large scale dev?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure - but you can always give them feedback here: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

The web is such a mess these days! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines