• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash CS6 Crashes Upon Import

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not matter what I'm trying to import, Flash keeps on crashing. It doesn't matter if I drag and drop or use Command R (MAC) or select import from the drop down menu, a progress bar appears and then Flash crashes. I've searched and have yet to find a solution.

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

We are running into the same issue. I think it has something to do with Apple's new file system APFS. Our solution is to repartition the drive and add a Mac OS Extended partition and copy the Flash CS6 directory to it and run it from there.

Hope this solves your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I tried Ctrl+Alt+Shift while opening Flash to reset preferences. Nothing has changed.

The only file I could find to delete was on my MAC was: /Library/Application Support/Macromedia/FlashAuthor.cfg.

That's gone and nothing has changed.

Please let me know what else to do. So very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't getting a crash, but I was getting a frequent error in CS6. Uninstalling it and reinstalling from the Creative Cloud menu, followed by an update to take it from 12.0 to 12.0.2, solved those errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, are you using the High Sierra OS (newest as of Dec 2017)? I haven't had to import any files for a while now, but now it crashes. The only thing I can think that changed is my OS, but I'm not even sure if that was before or after the last time I successfully imported something. I need help! Rival programs are $400 and I'd rather keep Flash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue on macOSX High Sierra, CS6.  Any kind of file that I'm trying to import will automatically crash the program.  I have tried resetting my preferences and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happenes for me as well. I have just started learning Flash, but can't make what I want to do when I can't import any files. Hopefully Apple can launch an update to their operation system where this is sorted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone here has a computer with a previous version of the OS installed, can they let us know if Flash Pro is working as intended on that computer?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are running into the same issue. I think it has something to do with Apple's new file system APFS. Our solution is to repartition the drive and add a Mac OS Extended partition and copy the Flash CS6 directory to it and run it from there.

Hope this solves your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some testing. Importing into CS3 works fine, but even invoking the the import to stage or import to library crashes CS6.

A significant change between CS3 and CS6 was that with CS3 I believe that all importers were initialized when you opened CS3. As a way to speed up launching, the importers for CS6 were only initialized when you first did an import. After all, a lot of Flash Pro sessions don't require importing, and so why make people wait for importers in the sessions they're not going to need them.

Reseting the CS6 preferences introduces a new problem, where you get a message saying you may need to reinstall. I did an uninstall and a reinstall. When that finishes I'll post an update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reinstall did fix the problem introduced by deleting preferences, but still it crashes with Command-R.

I don't know for sure if it's High Sierra or APFS in particular. I'm on both of those, and can't easily test HFS+. PolkaPower found that to be good work around, so I think I will mark that as Correct for now.

Preran happy birthday, and can I send you crash logs for someone to look at? It seems like it's a Java related problem, and ought to be fixable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Colin

The team can investigate the files only for the latest versions of Adobe Animate, I am not sure if they can dot that for CS. Let me know.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't thinking that you would make a fix to Flash Pro CS6, but that if an Animate engineer who knows macOS looked at a crash log, that could lead to a suggestion about what in macOS could be done to work around the issue.

Here is an example crash log, if you can find a volunteer in the team to take a look:

http://colin.scienceninja.com/flashprocs6importcrashlog.txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got around to doing a test of Flash Pro CS6 on an external drive, that is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and not APFS. I dragged the folder from Applications on my internal APFS drive, to a folder on the drive I use for Time Machine. When I opened that version I was given a message about it having to update the configuration files, which I let it do. Everything works ok, and there is no crash when doing an import.

It's a work around to the issue, but an easier work around than if you had to wipe your internal drive and reformat it to not be APFS.

It's the same solution PolkaPower gave, but without having to repartition your internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add that I found an external USB hard drive, which was formatted for Windows, and after going into Utilities - Disk Utility, and formatting it as MacOS Extended Journaled, and dragging the Applications/Adobe Flash CS 6 folder into it, and simply running it, works! I can import now without continuous crashes. Thank you for your help, it has really saved what would have been an impossibly old project from dieing forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting that. I hadn't tried exFat, so maybe being a Mac format is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much cvetigregor your solution worked awesomely, much thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you offer any help as how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure who you are asking how to do what. But if you're asking me about using Flash Pro CS6 on an external drive:

Connect an external drive. Make sure that it hasn't been formatted for APFS (it's highly likely it won't be).

Drag your internal drive Applications/Adobe Flash CS6 folder to the connected external drive.

Open Adobe Flash CS6 from inside the folder on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to this... I was having the same problem of Flash CS6 crashing everytime I tried to import anything after updating to Mojave.

The trick of dragging the Flash CS6 application folder on to an external hard-drive and running it from there worked for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

Fingers crossed for a patch from either Apple or Adobe so we don't have to do this workaround, but I'm not holding out too much hope. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried running Flash Pro CS6 on external hard drive, but the issue when importing persists. My external HD is formatted exFat. Does the solution only work with HFS+ formatted storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this problem just suddenly occurred in Flash while I'd been working on illustrations done over photos for a technical book. So I found a quick temporary solution: open some file with imported photo from before, duplicate a photo in library, and then edit in Photoshop.

There you can do whatever. It is a pain in the butt this issue. I can't get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that works. I partitioned my Mac OS APFS file system so that I can have another partition with Mac OS Extended Journal. Once that was done I copied the Flash CS6 application over to the new partition. I can now import successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How Do I do That

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines