• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to read Futurewave SmartSketch files?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered some Futurewave SmartSketch 95 *.ssk files that I created in 1998, and I'm trying to find some way to read them. One of the search results said to use. Adobe Flash Professional CC. I tried installing a trial version of that. That led to a download of Animate. Trying to install that started a never-ending process of installing Creative Cloud, without ever actually installingt Animate. It also dramatically slowed down my computer, and I found two Adobe CEF helper processes in the Task Manager which could not be stopped with the "End Task" button. The only way I found to stop them was by uninstalling Creative Cloud.

I'm still looking for a eay to read those FutureWave SmartSketch 95 *.ssk files. Can anyone help me?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Flash 8 and Flash CS3 seem to support SSK files.

Flash CS4 and later have no such format listed, so it is pointless to install Animate.

Clipboard-1.png

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

All the versions of Flash that I've been able to install require a serial number, which I don't have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try to convert up to 10 SSK files for you in a format that you can read/view/use.

If you like, ZIP them, put them on google drive and send me a PM with a link and some explanation what you can read/use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I had copies of the files from the installation floppies, that I've copied along with everything else, from one computer to the next, of the six computers I've used since 1998. I was able to install SmartSketch from those, inside Win31DOSBox, and everything works! I copied the folder with the ssk files into the C-DRIVE folder in the Win31DOSBox folder, and I'm able to open them with SmartSketch inside Win31DOSBox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well done, mate!

Glad you could sort it out.

You should be able to run 16-bit applications on a VirtualBox with XP without issues also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found copies on my computer of the files from the installation floppies for SmartSketch. I set up a virtual Windows 3.1 using the instructions and tools under "Win31DOSBox: Windows 3.1x for 64-bit Windows" on the Columbia University website. On that I was able to install SmartSketch from those installation files, and everything works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines