• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there Opacity (Transparency) in Animate CC?

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If so are we able to do it in Layers so it looks like water. I want to try to make it look like water with the ship hull coming closer and closer becoming more and more clearer

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Absolutely. There are many ways to apply alpha transparency to your artwork.

1. You can apply alpha to any layer and it will apply the transparency to all the contents of that layer.

2. You can mix colors with alpha.

3. You can convert artwork to symbols and then apply alpha to the instance of those symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

transparency is called the alpha property in animate (with an alpha = 0 being transparent and an alpha =1 being fully opaque).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. There are many ways to apply alpha transparency to your artwork.

1. You can apply alpha to any layer and it will apply the transparency to all the contents of that layer.

2. You can mix colors with alpha.

3. You can convert artwork to symbols and then apply alpha to the instance of those symbols.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s a mediocre answer. The thing is to explain how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

explain what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Hopefully tou have found the answer by now, but if not: right click on the layer you want to adjust the transparency on and click the "Properties" tab. There will be an option to adjust the transpaency under the "Visibility" tab. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that answer enabled me to change the opacity of my imported bitmap image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected! Actually, highlight the object you want to adjust the transparency on. Under the Color Effects tab click the drop down tab and select lpha. A slider should appear in which you can edit the frames transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about if you want a layer that has a glass cup and you want that to stay transparent the whole time

when i'm looking at the stage and timeline its transparent but if i click test movie it's opaque?

ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wait actually i answered my own question (after hours of why). make it a symbol. go to edit window enter edit symbols mode. select (same color) fills/or strokes, change opacity in properties window. exit edit mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this helped a lot thank you so much!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is color effects located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the properties panel

kglad_0-1675098859814.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Key issue that all the current answers are missing, which is what happened for me – if you are using a bitmap, you have to convert it to a symbol (graphic or movie clip) before the color effects with alpha option will even appear. There doesn't seem to be a way to directly add alpha to bitmap images without converting them to symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well technically you can. Both layer opacity and frame color effects work without converting the bitmap to a symbol but you shouldn't do this if you're going to animate that layer.

Layer opacity is non-tweenable and non-exportable and Animate will prompt you to convert the bitmap to symbol first when trying to tween a frame with frame effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question is: can you apply transparency layer effects such as Multiply, Color Dodge/Burn, Screen and such to layers or objects in Animate like you do in Illustrator or After Effects?

As far as I know, the answer is no, you have to use the Advanced Color effects tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

there are some layet effects, but not all those. and i think it's safer (ie, less error prone and easier to control) to apply effects to objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines