The last few versions of Animate have given me no end of trouble, especially when dealing with nested objects. (e.g. A street scene contains a car object that contains a driver object that includes a head object and some arm objects.)
It’s been hard to seek help because the projects included business proprietary items for my clients, so I didn’t feel comfortable posting them. Unfortunately, whenever I created a file containing only the problematic elements, that file inevitably worked just fine.
Well, I’ve finally got one I can share in the hopes of getting some useful feedback or maybe helping Adobe to fix some problems.
I generally create animations in Animate (Flash), then export a MOV file and put together the final product in Premiere, combining the animation MOV, music, voice over, etc.
Generally, the problem is that the object doesn’t animate in the final render. But my current project began to hang about halfway through the export process.
I went through, layer-by-layer, setting layers to GUIDE, deleting graphics, etc., to try and narrow down the problem.
Finally, I isolated one of the layers which kept the file from rendering. I selected the frames on that layer, created an entirely new FLA file, and pasted those frames into it. So the new file has *only* the graphic objects that appeared on that layer.
The new file would still not render.
The new file had a lot of blank spaces on the timeline – remember that I’ve cut off the other dozen or so layers of the original animation file.
To make it easier to see what I was doing, I deleted all the blank frames from timeline, changing NOTHING ELSE, yet the new version of the file now renders with no trouble.
I'm posting both files. Any insights greatly appreciated.
The two gray clouds look to be gray against a black background, because you have white clouds set to 25% transparency. When they move across the stage they are then white clouds on a white background, and so you don't see them. Changing the stage color to something darker makes the clouds show up.
If you want gray clouds on a white background, make the inner clouds be black, and then set the alpha of the graphic to 75%
The visibility of the clouds is not the problem. Remember that this has been stripped from a larger file which includes sky backgrounds and other elements.
The problem is that one of the two nearly identical files I linked to refuses to export to MOV.
(File | Export | Export Video/Media).
The file called RENDERS.FLA will export to MOV. The file called DOESNTRENDER.FLA will hang when trying to export to MOV.
The two files have identical libraries of objects. They have exactly the same animations taking place with the same times on the same layer.
The only difference is that one of them has had the blank frames deleted. Yet when you try to export to MOV, they act very differently.
Ok, so, it took a couple of hours to export. The first part went quickly, but then it was stuck at 68% for a while, and was very slow to get to 100%. Looking at what is in the timeline at arond 68%, and what is showing at that point in the video, it seems to be the green band that appears. Not sure what is so demanding about that part.
I attached the video that was made.
I can't tell what the issue is.
Many people have problems with the video exporter. There are at least two new threads here every day.
Since you use Premiere anyway, why not export a PNG sequence out of Animate and do the rest there.
This is what I have been doing for many years and it seems to be the most error-proof method.
I long time ago I posted a detailed description here. You probably won't need it, but just in case.
I actually thought about that, but the full video is pushing three minutes in length, which would be nearly 5,500 PNG files and I was trying to avoid that.
I agree with Colin that the problem is the little line of green arrows (which is a nested symbol), but I have no idea why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. 😞
The only problem with thousands of PNGs I see could be psychological 🙂
I am pretty psychologically fragile...
I think the arrows were earlier. The closest to the 68% area was the green bar that grows in height.
Yep. But if you delete the arrows, everything starts working again. 😕
I tried various things with the arrows, but couldn't tell exactly what was causing the problem.
It could be worth submitting a bug report here:
I didn't see a way to add an attachment, but you could include a link to your zip file.
Thanks. I've dropped them a note.
I've received this response:
The issue is reproducible at our end & will be investigated further. We will get back to you once the issue is fixed.