Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The output directory could not be found. Please update it and try again."

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Recently I have been getting this error every time I try to test/preview an HTML5 Canvas document in Animate CC (2018). I have tried reinstalling, read another solution (the output directory could not be found - sadly I had no folder named "_" or "/" so this solution doesn't apply to me), I have tried saving in different locations with new names etc. Nothing has helped. So far I have found no answers anywhere on the internet either.

I have been working with Adobe for over 8 years now, but only for a month or so with Animate CC. This is quite problematic for me since the deadline is quite soon (student at the University of Applied Sciences), and none of the other students nor teachers are able to solve this issue with me.

This is my absolute last out since I cannot seem to find a way to just 'call' or email Adobe either. I'm hoping that someone may have a solution here for me.

Jessy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

I had the exact same issue as Jessy, except I am working in the 2019 version.  I created my file it all worked fine on my machine and tested fine.  I then uploaded it to my assignment webpage and sent the file to my instructor who encountered the error.  The first thing I did when he advised me of the problem was I uninstalled and reinstalled animate on my machine.  I was going to try the suggested solution, however now I can't open the file at all.  This is a class assignment that I am working

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

I had a similar problem and then noticed I had a backslash '/' in the file directory path. In my case, I named a folder 'cytochrome b/c1' The slash confused Animate. Removing the / character fixed the problem. I did have to close down the file and reopen it and then reselect the folder in the Basic Tab of the Publish Settings… (It's the little folder icon next to output name.) Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reset your preferences -

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/kb/re-create-preferences-flash-professional.html

(or remove Win:  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2017\ and

C\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Animate\2017\

Mac:   /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Animate CC 2017/ and

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Animate/2017/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen only for a particular file or for every file? (Try creating a new blank Canvas file and do Test Movie. Does it work fine?)

If it happens for a particular file, it must be trying to publish to a path that may not exist. To fix that, try the following:

1 Open Publish settings of your file.

2 Browse for a new output location on your system. Say, Desktop.

3 Make sure there are no special characters in the output name.

Let me know if it works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same issue as Jessy, except I am working in the 2019 version.  I created my file it all worked fine on my machine and tested fine.  I then uploaded it to my assignment webpage and sent the file to my instructor who encountered the error.  The first thing I did when he advised me of the problem was I uninstalled and reinstalled animate on my machine.  I was going to try the suggested solution, however now I can't open the file at all.  This is a class assignment that I am working on and the final requirement is to add sound.

I have since rebuilt my file and it is functioning as it should.  I am continuing to have issues with the new file.  I try to open the file from the folder and it won't allow me to open it from file explorer, no error message or anything.  I try to open it in animate and from the recent file selection and the same result, it does nothing.

I found a work around to get this file opened.  I created a blank document in animate and once it is ready to go, I then click open and select the file I want and it opens for me.....not sure if this is an issue with animate, my machine or the file.....any help is appreciated with these issues.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and then noticed I had a backslash '/' in the file directory path. In my case, I named a folder 'cytochrome b/c1' The slash confused Animate. Removing the / character fixed the problem. I did have to close down the file and reopen it and then reselect the folder in the Basic Tab of the Publish Settings… (It's the little folder icon next to output name.) Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tdpaust OMG you are absolutely correct! I am in utter disbelief that I lost hours upon hours of work because of a ******* backslash in my filename!! You are my savior! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH!! I'm so excited!! I've been so frustrated for weeks trying to figure out how to export and this was TOTALLY the issue for me as well. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solved my issue, thank you a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into File/Pubish Settings/Output Name and you should find the guilty party.
More than likely there is a long address with forward slashes. Delete the nane and shorten to a few letters, like file or new. All should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops typoFile/Publish Settings/Output name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines