Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsteady Framerate for Dynamic Animation

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm running a flash animation built for windows desktop and can't seem to make it run steady.

I've tried building directly for windows as an /exe and as an air application but both have the same performance issue.

They run at the expected frame rate for most of the time, slightly dropping by maybe 1.5 fps here and there, doesn't seem like much but you can see the animation slow down and sort of judder slightly when it does this.

Looking at the performance monitor in windows it claims to be using around 40% of the CPU while doing this. A Less complicated version of the animation uses around 22% but with the same performance problems.

That's what I find to be most confusing about this since I would assumed the reason it's dropping frame is because the CPU can't handle the code. Os there an export setting I've missed that I need to correct?

Here's a breakdown of how animation works:

• I import a set of looping miniclips (all walkcycles) and add them to the stage
  • I move each of them every frame so they appear to walk across the screen
  • When they go off screen their position is reset so they walk back over again

Initialy the movieclips were swf animation exported from illustrator, but I seemed to get better performance when using exported pngs instead.

At startup it's more choppy but it levels out eventualy (still with a variable framerate).

The deployment for this is a 5m tall LED screen with a resolution of 448 x 120. It's not a huge pixel dimension so any slight drops are super noticable so any tips you might have to help would be very appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi.

Do you mind sharing your FLA/project even if you need to use placeholder assets?

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines