• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Animate - How to locate previous (auto-save) version of a file?

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse my frustration...  I'm surprised not a single person on planet earth has asked this question before...  that or there's just not a clear answer to this problem for Adobe Animate.

STORY:

So I copied a symbol and pasted it onto another frame... I forgot to convert it again to a new symbol so that whatever changes I make will not affect the original symbol.  Since I made too many changes on the original symbol its beyond undo.

QUESTION:

So my question is... does Adobe Animate create a folder that has previous autosave version(s) of the file?  If so, where do I find it?  If its an option that I don't have turned on, where do I find that on the Adobe Animate program?

If this is possible, could you just give me a simple direction like:  Windows (C:) > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Animate CC 2018......

Also, don't mix this up with AUTO-RECOVERY, yes I know those files are located on the same folder as the same file you're working on.  Though, I'm not asking about auto-recovery.

Also, also... my File History is turned off... so I don't know if that is 1 solution for this situation.

Thanks,
JD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

it might be in the Temp folder (per the below info), if you have auto-recovery enabled.  but i think it will be in the folder i indicated, not a subfolder.  to test:

open animate and start a test fla.  don't save (if that's what you did with the problematic fla). wait your auto-recovery time. open task manager and force animate to quit.  reopen animate.  if auto-recovery is enabled animate should offer to recover the test fla.  note the directory of the test fla and check it for your problematic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2019\en_US\Configuration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response!

Where do I go from Configuration?  I'm guessing its the tmp folders?  But they're empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it might be in the Temp folder (per the below info), if you have auto-recovery enabled.  but i think it will be in the folder i indicated, not a subfolder.  to test:

open animate and start a test fla.  don't save (if that's what you did with the problematic fla). wait your auto-recovery time. open task manager and force animate to quit.  reopen animate.  if auto-recovery is enabled animate should offer to recover the test fla.  note the directory of the test fla and check it for your problematic fla.

more info:

Auto-Recovery

When enabled (the default setting), this setting saves a copy of each open file at the specified time interval, in the same folder as the originals. If you have not saved the file yet, Animate saves the copies in its Temp folder. The file names are the same as the originals, with “RECOVER_” added to the beginning of the file name. If Animate quits unexpectedly, a dialog box appears when you restart to allow you to open the auto-recover file. When you exit Animate normally, the auto-recover files are deleted.

Starting Animate CC 2015 release, Animate does not create unnecessary auto-recovery files. An auto-recovery file is created only if the document is modified after the last auto-recovery files were created. Auto-recovery file is removed only after completing a successful save operation. To avoid continuous loop of auto-recovery for short auto-recovery duration, snapshot for all files modified after last auto-recovery are created at each auto-recovery interval. Next auto recovery timer is started only after this process is completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not get it where can I find the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, 

the latest will be listed in  AutoRecoverFilenames.txt** 

win:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\<animate version>\en_US\Configuration

mac:

Users/<username>/Application Support/Adobe/<animate/flash version>/en_US/Configuration/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can I found it on Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

see me previous message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man you really helped me .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a further question to that, is there a way to access the latest RECOVER_ file if you accidentally clicked close on the dialogue pop-up? Also where would I find the Temp folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the latest will be listed in  AutoRecoverFilenames.txt** 

win:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\<animate version>\en_US\Configuration

mac:

Users/<username>/Application Support/Adobe/<animate/flash version>/en_US/Configuration/

temp and tmp are not the same.  google your os and the location of whichever folder you want to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tysm this i’ll try it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines