• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Animate is a difficult search term

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if this might be misunderstood by Adobe but this is something that I think should be considered by their Marketing team. I was an intermediate user back in the Adobe Flash days, but life moved on and I never touched it again until now.  About 6-7yrs later, I found an use that requires Adobe Animate again.

Through this re-learning process, I found it is much more difficult to find information in the internet about Adobe Animate simply because "Animate" is such a common word used in so many other contexts. I reckon the team that came up with the software name did not foresee this consequence, but as a web developer I am indeed quite disappointed that other software and coding languages (i.e., Python, Javascript, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) have very unique names that make the information search much simpler.

This is more of a feedback to Adobe that I wanted to give while I'm going through this learning curve. I understand that probably their marketing team wanted to remove the stain from Flash, given the bugs/hacking that occurred in the past. But "Animate" is really a poor choice for a software name because it makes the information search such a terrible experience.

Let me know if you guys agree with this opinion!

TOPICS
Missing feature , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Excellent post!

It's a terribly bland name that only a corporate committee of clueless marketing graduates can come up with.

It is utterly unpleasant to try and say "Here is my Animate animation" or "I'm an Animate animator".

The tautology kills the phrase and makes the users feel like morons saying such nonsense. That is why people still call themselves "Flash animators".

I have spoken about this before, expressing the same criticism.

If a piece of software has glorious past and slightly tainted reputation the company that produces it should work toward cleaning the reputation, not renaming it in the clumsiest possible way.

I think that with the death of the Flash browser plugin the time has come to re-claim the name Flash.

Moho, for example, had the guts to go back to their original name.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree, a massive conspiracy start in 2010 with the stupid childish letter from Steve Jobs that spread a bad reputation to Flash unfortunately, and year after year brainwashed developers started to hate Flash, when at the same time, alternatives from google dev growed until today where almost no one criticize their dev crap. The most stupid belief being that because Flash is a plugin so it's not free or you depend from a plugin to develop apps and games. Well, webrtc is by essence a builtin plugin into the browser, which lie to everyone telling that it does not need any plugin! So my question is and will always be, "Why the heck browsers don't consider Flash as standard technology and fully integrate it their browser at least as they (most major browsers) integrate openh264 encoder and decoder from cisco? The want to kill 20 years of internet creativity and impose only one technology or maybe some other interests?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Robert.

Jobs became my personal enemy because of what he did to Flash. I can say many things about him which will be inappropriate to write in a public forum.

But Adobe agreed too easily to let everyone trash Flash.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree about Steve Kn...Jobs (I'm so mature!). There was nothing to the nonsense about bugs or hacking. Sometimes I have to convert our old courses to HTML5 but the originals just worked and looked great. SO much lost potential.

And agree 100% about the name Animate. I could fart and it would give me a better name. Flash still has a better ring to it in my opinion.

Anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe FLASM would be interesting, a mix between Flash and Wasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines