• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Director discussions?

Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still use Adobe Director Lingo once a while. There used to be a discussion forum but it's gone. Is there an archive that I may search for answers that people asked before? Is there another public forum for this old software?

I have a question in sorting a list. When sorting, it sorts in alphabetic order. How do I know the order of the sort so I can find the items in a different list?

For example: 

list1 = ["aaa", "zzz", "mmm", "bbb"]

list1.sort would make it ["aaa", "bbb","mmm","zzz"], but I'd like to know the changed order is 1, 4, 3, 2 if the original is 1, 2, 3, 4. I need this so I can pick up the value from another related list based on the new order after sorting.

Sorry to post it hear. I thought there were many Lingo developers moved to ActionScript in the past.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

I don't know Lingo, but I've never heard of any language providing such a feature. This very strongly points toward your approach to whatever problem you're trying to solve being fundamentally flawed. Perhaps you need to learn how to use property lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know Lingo, but I've never heard of any language providing such a feature. This very strongly points toward your approach to whatever problem you're trying to solve being fundamentally flawed. Perhaps you need to learn how to use property lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. That's the way to do it. I have to create a new property list and sort the list and then I can see the number in the changed order. THANKS for the great idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the part about where to talk about Lingo, Direct-L is still around. I'm sure people would be excited to hear a Lingo question.

http://listserv.uark.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIRECT-L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

I just ran into your link to listserv.uark.  I would be interested in accessing the Direct-L folk.  I have been using Director for 25+ years and am not getting much support from Adobe these days. (although I still pay them monthly for access to Director 12).  Do you have any feel for how many users may still be out there?  An I the only one?

Ken VanBree

ken@eBuilts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direct-L is still going, and has been more active than usual recently. Valentin has been posting a build of Director that will work in recent versions of macOS. It's actually using the Windows version in a Wine wrapper.

The link I gave above is slightly confusing, in that you have to sign in on that page. I see though that one of the options is to register a password. I guess that will get you through to where you can subscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

Thanks for your response, I look forward to seeing the discussion about director on a mac. 
I was able this morning to get my password on listserv.uark verified, and logged into the listserv.  When I tried to go to Direct-L it gave me the following message:

"Sorry, you are not authorized to browse the archives of the DIRECT-L list from the email address (kvanbree@imagingperspective.com) you entered on the login screen."

Is there a separate password for Direct-L?  I could see some of the other topics once I logged in, but not Direct-L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Colin: how might a Mac user open old Director files on modern hardware? The 11.5 trial gives me the "PowerPC not supported" message (which makes sense — that's ancient relatively speaking!) Really just need to open things enough to take some screenshots of an old project. 

Is this build of Valentin's publicly available?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines