Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate changing size and position of static text in a motion tween by itself

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been talked about but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

I'm having an issue with a HTML5 Canvas document I'm working on in animate where I would like to have some text move across the stage. I have specific places where I need the text to be on certain frames of it's motion but for reasons I can't work out after making the text into a motion tween Animate decides to not respect this position. If I move the text on a different frame and then return to the already specified frame it would have moved and resized by between 1 and 20 or so pixels. I decided to try to fix the issue by using the info panel to set the position and dimensions exactly again however even going to edit these numbers affects the others. Also if I set the one of the values and go to change another, e.g. change the width to 98.8 px, the value will change but not to the number I've set, e.g. in this example the value might change to 97.4 px.

I've had similar issues with symbols and motion tweens before but have either ignored them as they're not too important or found workarounds but as the position of the text is so important in this case it can't be ignored.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Unless there's some specific reason that you need to use a motion tween... don't use a motion tween. Stick with classic tweens.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have your converted the text to a movieclip, button or graphic?  if not, how your changing the width?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't converted it to any, I was hoping to avoid adding unnecessary symbols as there will be several pieces of text I need to do this with. I'm changing the width via the info panel when I have the text box selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's the problem. unless you change the transform point of your text from the default (center), changing width and or height is going to change x and/or y. change your transform point to the top left  if you don't want that to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the case as it's changing the height as well when I change the width (and they are not linked) and if I change the x value, for example, then the other 3 also change which wouldn't be because of the transform point.

One thing I've also disovered is that when I move/scale/rotate the text in another keyframe, the transform point (the white circle) has moved from the centre in the keyframe that I need the exact postioning and size. This seems to be an error in Animate as I havn't moved the transformation point in any keyframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless there's some specific reason that you need to use a motion tween... don't use a motion tween. Stick with classic tweens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my previous reply I'm trying to avoid having symbols if I can which would be needed for classic tweens. I wouldn't mark this as correct if it doesn't solve the problem I'm having.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay then, your problem is that you're trying to avoid having symbols. Stop that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I guess I will have to use symbols then but I'd appreciate an explanation of why this error is happening rather than rudely disregard my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines