• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate File Corrupts When Bitmaps Are Used PLEASE HELP I WILL LOVE YOU FOR LIFE

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J23K_0-1593008647880.png

J23K_1-1593008676759.png

J23K_3-1593009524988.png

Hey all, I hope someone else has run into this problem and knows the workaround.

So I've been using Adobe Animate for around three weeks and have been running into this problem constantly. Basically, what seems to be happening is that the Bitmap files that I use will corrupt whenever the software crashes and I'll get that red square above instead of the original file. Everything else in the animation (drawings/text) will be completely fine.

Honestly, I've tried doing this five times now over three weeks and every single time it's crashed then corrupted random bitmaps I'm using. Then for some reason it corrupts all my back-up files as well (so version 3.08, 3.07 ... basically every version I saved as a back-up that uses those bitmap animations). The images that get corrupted seem to be random every single time it crashes, with only one or two similarities between them.

I wondered if at first it was due to me using shape tweens on the bitmaps, so I swapped them out for motion tweens instead - but still crashed on me again about a week or so ago. Then I wondered if it may be a specific bitmap I'm using that's causing it to crash so I swapped out the ones most likely causing it to crash, but still no luck. Now I'm wondering if tracing the bitmaps might fix the problem, but honestly, I don't want to have to do 50-60 hours of work again all of a sudden to have it crash so any advice before I try again would be deeply appreciated.

I've tried calling Adobe about this, who were extremely unhelpful. The guy on the phone literally had no clue what he was even talking about and had to put me on hold several times to go and ask someone. After 45 minutes, we weren't any closer to a solution. I've also tried webchat and sending several crash reports to them and still haven't heard anything back from them. I'm genuinely extremely disappointed with their customer service - (and actually their software in general at this point) but it is such an intuitive software that I don't want to switch over without really needing to. But if I can't fix this, I will need to switch over which is sad because the other software I use from Adobe works (for the most part).

If anyone knows the fix for this or any solutions to try, you would be helping me out so much you can't even understand lol. Thanks for reading and I hope to know your guys' thoughts 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Were these actual masks used over bitmaps, or bitmaps that were broken apart and clipped that way, i.e. used as fill?

If it was the latter try actual masking. Keep in mind that if you have multiple shapes as mask they have to be raw vector and not Drawing Objects.

Also, one more thing. After a crash it is possible that the file is OK but the cache is corrupted. 

You can check that by having multiple versions of Animate installed side by side. If it's a cache issue, the same file will open fine in the other versions that did not crash.

Now here is some info where cache might be and how to clean it:

http://flash-powertools.com/suddenly-broken-shape-tweens-in-flash-animate-after-a-crash/

See if this brings some improvement after crashes.

Apart from that, I have no other ideas.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using Animate again for prototyping UI animations and this happened to me on the 2nd document after only a few hours of work. It happened after I restarted Animate to see if that solved another strange tweening bug: "Could not load scene into memory. Your document may be damaged." and red shapes where bitmaps should be. 

The solutions proposed in this thread (cleaning cache or re-importing the source bitmaps) did not work.

My file contains shape paths with image fills (or "broken apart" bitmaps), no masked or traced bitmaps. I import PNGs, cut them into smaller Movie Clips in Animate and animate them separately. I only have a handfull of source bitmaps and none is bigger than FullHD. It looks like what broke is the link between the source bitmap and the vector shapes. Everything else seems to work (tweens, movie clips, effects...). I can manually replace the bitmap fill via the color picker, but it loses the correct placement inside the path and I have to eyeball it into position (-> Selecting the red shape path, opening the color picker and from the swatches at the bottom pick the one with the correct bitmap, then use Gradient Transform Tool to move it back into the right position). 

Since this happened to me pretty early on, seems to be an unsolved problem for the kind of worklfow I'm looking for, and seeing that Animate doesn't get a lot of attention from Adobe these days, I'm sadly going to look for other animation software instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you "Break Apart" Ctrl+B with a bitmap image? If so, Animate reads the information.... If you need to use "Break Apart"... process the image again as a bitmap (convert to bitmap)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share sample files (fla / bitmaps) and corrupted file (if you have any) to help us look into the issue?

and have you observed any specific steps(say closing doc, tweeining  the bitmap, importing bitmap etc.) which is causing app crash?

Also, have you tried updating bitmap for these red squares? when you see this red square instead of original bitmap just go to Libary > affected bitmap > right click menu > Properties.. > choose Import and give path to original bitmap > then update. Please see if it helps in your case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, and thank you for your kind response.

Yes, this will always happen when it seems that I tween bitmaps only. I'm not sure if it will make a difference if I trace the bitmap image and then try working with the vector instead.

I tried it again over the past couple of days and have found the same issue. It's very strange because it also corrupts my whole Animate software and I have to reboot the whole thing to get the "Could not load scene into memory. Your document may be damaged" message to go away even on new files that I create. This has also happened to all back-up copies of this work that I have used.

What would be the best way to share the Animate corrupted files with you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks J23k for the update.

You can directlty submit a bug report here with the files link (upload the files on some file sharing site e.g. Creative cloud files and share the link) for the team to investigate this. It will be helpful if you could provide following info:

a. file where bitmaps are converted to red squares

b. sample file with bitmaps and tween (which you commonly use in your workflow)

c. what is the typical no. of bitmaps in your project and whats their resolution ? (e.g. hd, 1080p)

Also, have you tried updating bitmap for these red squares in your file? when you see this red square instead of original bitmap just go to Libary > affected bitmap > right click menu > Properties.. > choose Import and give path to original bitmap > then update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines