• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated GIF missing movie clip

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting an Animate file as an animated gif, is there a setting needed to ensure that the movie clip is added to the gif? When exporting using the settings below, the gif plays all animation except the movie clip part. GIF settings are:

Format: GIF
Dimensions: 720w x 300h
Size: 22.41M
Settings: Selective, 256 Colors, No Dither, 215 frames, Transparency off, No Transparency Dither, Non-Interlaced, 0% Web Snap

Thank you,

Andrea

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Hello Andrea!

Sorry for the incomplete answer the first time. Been using Flash for over 20 years and sometimes I assume that things are obvious when they actually are not.

Graphic and Movieclip symbols have different properties and behaviours. Check the documentation to get familiar with both, but generally speaking, in non-interactive animation we use Graphic symbols. Movieclips can be manipulated and controlled by code and suit interactive projects better. Interactive projects can have combinati

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrea,

Movieclips usually do not render during export apart from their first frame. (There are exceptions such as SWF export)

Change the Movieclip symbol type to a Graphic symbol (from properties panel) and set it to "Loop". It should then export fine.

Clipboard-1.png

Good luck!

NT

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, NT! When I select the movie clip in the Libraries panel, then switch to the Properties panel, I am not seeing properties for the clip, only the main .fla file info. When I right click on the movie clip in the Libraries panel, I do get a selection for "properties" which brings up a Symbol Properties dialog box (see encl screen shot). I changed the Type to a Graphic, but there is no option for "loop". What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 1.35.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andrea!

Sorry for the incomplete answer the first time. Been using Flash for over 20 years and sometimes I assume that things are obvious when they actually are not.

Graphic and Movieclip symbols have different properties and behaviours. Check the documentation to get familiar with both, but generally speaking, in non-interactive animation we use Graphic symbols. Movieclips can be manipulated and controlled by code and suit interactive projects better. Interactive projects can have combinations of both, while in non-interactive projects, esp. the ones that will end up as rendered video (MOV, MP$), animated GIFs and so on there is absolutely no need to use Movieclips unless you really have a reason to.

Since you initially created your symbol as a Movieclip and then possibly put it on Stage and animated it somehow - maybe with a few Classic Tweens - you will need to find each of those symbol instances on the Stage, click on them with the V-tool and in properties panel switch them to Graphic. Each instance on each Keyframe.

(If they are on their own layer, it could be possible to lock everything else but this layer and use Edit Multiple Frames to do it in one go.)

When they become Graphic, the looping section below will change and you will have 'Loop' (most likely it will default to 'Loop' when you switch to Graphic).

It wouldn't hurt if you switch the type of the symbol itself in the Library as you show on the screen grab, but is not necessary.

When all Movieclips on your timeline are Graphic and you have them 'Loop', you may run into sync issues (because you have the keys created while they were Movieclips). Now I'm just speculating, but it is not uncommon. If you have a 12 frame animation inside the looping symbol, but you have a key at frame 7 on the main timeline, the animation will reset on frame 7 and start from the beginning.

To fix this, select your layer with the tween and choose 'sync' in properties.

Clipboard-1.png

Hope this helps!

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, NT! I¹ll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

Facing the same issue, I did just follow your instructions (thanks by the way, that's clear..).

Now all my symbols are graphic, and set to loop, and sync... but nothing has changed, and I can't export my gif containing my animations... 

Any idea!?

Thx for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Could you provide more information?

Ideally upload one of those files that you have trouble with to a file hosting service and post the link so that I can look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Thx for your fast answer.

I finally got through !! I did forget to convert one object (the only one which was working actually, located on the main timeline).

So your solution is the one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well done, mate!

Great to hear you got it working 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am new in Adobe Animate and am lost...

I don't understand why the Gif is not moving... 

Could you please help me and have a look at it ? 

Could you please tell me what was wrong and what I should do from the begning of the creation ? 

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/861223/Power%20of%20Real%20Estate%20test%20V2.fla 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind looking at your file, mate, but please post it somewhere where it does not ask me to fill in an email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wetransfer.com is a good option for posting files. You can ask it for a link instead of giving an email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines