Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner Animation Software

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

My daughter is 16 years old and is an amazing sketch artist and has done a few small animations using Flip a Clip but wants to learn more.  What do you all recommend as a beginner software tool to sketch and animate?  Also, are there any classes available that she can take?  Should she use Adobe products or is there an easier/beginner software she should start out with?

Thank you all for your feedbac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i were her father, i'd start with free software until i was sure this is more than a hobby, The 11 best free-to-download animation programs in 2020 | Freelancer.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an incredibly outdated list stemming from 2013, only stamp dated to this year to keep traffic to it going.  It does not even include OpenToonz or Tahoma2D, or krita.

I do concur with you that it is best to avoid investing any money in animation software if you are a beginner - and in particular now that professional level open source free 2d alternatives such as OpenToonz and Tahoma2d have become available in the past few years. Krita is also pretty good for frame-by-frame bitmap animation. (Tahoma2d is a simplified version of OpenToonz, btw). Many tutorials to be found on YouTube.

https://tahoma2d.org/

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/

https://krita.org/en/

Blender is also incredibly good at 3d animation (and becoming a 2d animation option as well). But much harder to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do pay for Adobe products already and have accses to "Animate" i would recomend using that. i've been using "Animate" for 9 years and still use it to this day (for hobby and mostly work related things now).

i've heard Blender (free software) has become much easier to learn with their new interface and more and more people is using it as a 2D program.

"Krita" (free software) is also a amazing free drawing software i have heard lots of good stuff about.

I use "Clip Studio Paint" myself and it has a one time purches plus it goes on sale very often, i would recomend for drawing and sketching because most people i know use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

here's a video discussing using animate for animation, (174) Adobe Animate - Is It Right For You? - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines