Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bend or flex a simple object

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to Adobe Animate. I'm trying to do something that I'd think was pretty simple to pull off, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. Essentially, I'm trying to animate a rectangle bending and then springing back.

Screen-Shot-2016-11-23-at-9.42.59-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-11-23-at-9.43.04-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-11-23-at-9.43.47-AM.jpg

The first 2 images show where I'm at so far, with the last showing where I want to end up. Where I'm stuck is that to get the curve I want, I'm using the Subselection Tool to move the top 2 corner points of my post's rectangle. I've already set up curved anchor points on the bottom 2 corners of the rectangle to it curves when I move the top 2 corners. However, I can't get the curve to animate; it just snaps into place when I hit the 8th frame (where my keyframe is).

Right now, the rectangle is set up as a symbol (graphic). In order to access the points with the Subselection Tool, I have to double-click into the symbol, but then I can't set up a motion tween because it's not considered a symbol when I double-click into it.

I wanted to use a motion tween to try to achieve a nice, smooth motion for the bend. If I have to, I can try to animate it frame by frame, but I figure that won't look nearly as smooth. Can anyone help me figure out a simple way to do this? This seems like such a basic thing to do, yet I haven't been able to find a guide on how to do it anywhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

You would want to use a shape tween, not a motion tween. You would make the straight version of the shape (in its own layer), right-click on it and select Create Shape Tween. Go later in the timeline and add a keyframe in the same layer. Edit the shape in that frame to make it look curved. Then scrub the timeline to watch the shape being tweened. If you click on a frame in the tween in the timeline you can change the easing value in the Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would want to use a shape tween, not a motion tween. You would make the straight version of the shape (in its own layer), right-click on it and select Create Shape Tween. Go later in the timeline and add a keyframe in the same layer. Edit the shape in that frame to make it look curved. Then scrub the timeline to watch the shape being tweened. If you click on a frame in the tween in the timeline you can change the easing value in the Properties panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, perfect! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

So for now there is no way to bend or deform an existing object the same way it can be done in After Effects using its puppet tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello! I see this is a very old question, but i can't find anything else on this, how did you bend the rectangle as a image? Like before you even animated it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines