Highlighted

Can I import tga in Animate?

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a .fla file I made using adobe Flash and all images used were tga.  Everything displayed correctly.  I tried to import a new tga image into the project and was given an error stating there was an error reading the file.  

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I import tga in Animate?

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a .fla file I made using adobe Flash and all images used were tga.  Everything displayed correctly.  I tried to import a new tga image into the project and was given an error stating there was an error reading the file.  

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 02, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under File->Import, it clearly lists all supported media file formats: wav, mp3, jpg, gif, png, bmp, dib, flv, ai, svg, psd, swf.

If Targa files were ever supported, they aren't now. You'll have to batch-convert them all to PNGs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash does not have tga listed under import, yet it still accepts the format so I do not make assumptions.  It's odd the images display perfectly fine from a pre-existing .fla but aren't allowed to be imported via animate.  As a company we are looking to switch to animate from Flash.  We have made 10+ years of games in flash with tga used as images.  The game engine we use is based around .tga and .swf formats.  Looking for a potential work around so we don't have to modify our engine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing odd about old imported TGAs still displaying. When you import an image into Flash/Animate, it's converted into the native internal storage format for bitmaps.

You can make a feature request on the wish form for Targa import to be re-added, but until they do that, your only option if using Animate is to convert to PNG. Maybe get your programmer(s) to integrate libpng into your game engine and bring it into the 21st century.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the wish form.  Yeah, I agree with you on us needing to switch over to PNG.  I have to gather info so I can present a solid case on getting them to through someone on the task.  Appreciate it.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019 0