Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't understand parenting in Animate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I can't understand how parenting works in adobe animate.

I thought that it have to work like in After Effects. But no.

For some reason the parented parts move really weird. Sometimes I can't move or rotate it. Sometimes I made keyframe and moved the an object but it doesn't work inbetween.

For example, I have face rig. Eyeballs are parented to the face oval and pupils are parented to the eyeballs.

And if I move pupils in keyframe sometimes they don't move or rotate. I can't manipulate them.

Or sometimes I shift them to other positions in this keyframe. But keyframes inbetween don't work well.

Or if I have a layer for frame-by-frame animation parented to main layer. And when I make keyframe for new drawing, the object on this layer becomes unparented

Please explain to me how it works.

I watched some video tutorials, but there they make simple animations. They make keyframes and move all object at once. But I want to animate layers separately.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Hi mate,

Layer Parenting is still in its infancy and full of dead ends.

If you want a mature system, check out SMR.

Here is an in-depth article with video how to set up your character for animation. Character rigging for Flash animation | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

On the site you can also download sample rigs to test and see how they are put together.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correct you want to have one parent object for many separate object and each of them have its own layer/ Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think yes.

I mean the hierarchy of parented layers like in after effects for puppet animation.

Eyes linked to a face, face to a neck, neck to a torso etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is good resource from Chris Layer parenting | Hope this can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I watched this tutorial there are columns of keyframes. But sometimes I don't want to make column, I just want to make couple keyframes. And in this case and in this case problems begin.

Please look at this screenshot to understand.

asdasd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Layer Parenting is still in its infancy and full of dead ends.

If you want a mature system, check out SMR.

Here is an in-depth article with video how to set up your character for animation. Character rigging for Flash animation | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

On the site you can also download sample rigs to test and see how they are put together.

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!

Definitely worth to learn and try this tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines