• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't use the Space bar for Keyboard Shortcuts?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Animate, and I can't seem to bind the space key in the keyboard shortcuts. Nothing happens when I try pressing the space key to bind it, and using other combinations such as Ctrl+Space don't work either.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Solution. GetAutoHotkey and add code:

; play/pause toggle Adobe Animate

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Adobe Animate CC 2017

SPACE:: 

ControlSend, ahk_parent, {Enter}

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Animate.exe

Send {Play}

return

This will let you use the Space bar for Play/Pause toggle when the window is open/active. Also doesn't affect type tool (can still use spaces when typing).

Let me know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution. GetAutoHotkey and add code:

; play/pause toggle Adobe Animate

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Adobe Animate CC 2017

SPACE:: 

ControlSend, ahk_parent, {Enter}

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Animate.exe

Send {Play}

return

This will let you use the Space bar for Play/Pause toggle when the window is open/active. Also doesn't affect type tool (can still use spaces when typing).

Let me know if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello themarten999

Great tip on using the AutoHotkey software to enable Spacebar shortcuts. I have one question for you if you don't mind. I am trying to assign the Spacebar as a shortcut to playback (play/pause) my animation in the timeline. However, since the spacebar is also a shortcut for activating the pan tool when your cursor is hovering over the Stage, this will not work. So what I would like to do is make the shortcut "Alt Spacebar" become my shortcut for timeline playback. Unfortunately, I have tried adding the word "Alt" in several different ways into the script you provided for the original poster but I can't seem to get the script to work. I have just started using AutoHotkey after reading your post so I really don't know much about scripting with it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Hand tool to pan the canvas, shortcut H.

Or use your touch screen.

Don't know why adding Alt doesn't work in the script. Not an expert either. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a way to do this for Mac OS? Auto Hotkeys doesn't work for Macs. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone using AutoHotkey v2.0:

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0
#HotIf WinActive("ahk_class Adobe Animate 2023")
Space::
{
    ControlSend "{Enter}"
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. Wow. What an insanely solution for a ridiculous oversight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an oversight, you have to remember in addition to being able to play video and code programs it's ALSO a drawing program. In Animate, the spacebar is used to pan around as noted above and if it didn't behave that way like every single other drawing program does someone would complain about that too. It's done on purpose. Just because you don't like the way a program works doesn't mean it's ridiculous. You can use the Enter key easily enough for the same function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this one...I just exported my project as a Quicktime. And instead of a black background (which is how I created it) it converts it to white. Im sure there is a very logical explanation for this haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not get space key to make animation play or move one frame up/back (Sideways keys). Disovered that when the playhead is at the far left end, these shortcut keys don't work. But if you start your animation just a few frames forward of the left side, these keys work again. Took me 3 hours to figure it out. After 2 reboots and a dozen Google searches(which did not have this answer.) Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines