Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change temp .MOV location in 2020

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So I've noticed when exporting a video, Animate 2020 likes to create a temporary .mov file to C:/

But, my computer is set up with a C-Drive that's very limited on space (used for booting up my computer) and a bigger drive (D:/) to store information. I installed Animate 2020 on the bigger drive, D:/-- yet Animate 2020 still insists on creating the temp .MOV file on C:/

Because there's not enough space on C:/-- Animate will always crash when trying to create the temp .MOV.

Is there a way to change where Animate 2020 saves the temp .MOV file?

TOPICS
Error , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the document you are exporting already saved to D drive? I don't think there's a way to specify a scratch disk in AnCC.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the file I'm exporting is already on D:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day.
I'm having this same issue. I got a animation project I've been working on for a while. Everytime I go to export it, the temp MOV file that is getting created dramatically fills up my C: drive despite I install this program onto my Data D: drive which has A LOT of space. Adobe can you give us a solution how we can change the temp MOV file location to DATA D: drive so that it will not impact or crash the exporting proccess. Us paying customers have the right to be heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Yes I am exporting all my projects to D: drive, However the Temp MOV files made I want to change it to D: So that it doesn't fill My C: drive dangerously fast  as it keeps crashing the program all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location where it stores the temp data is C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate 2020\en_US\Configuration\tmp 
I don't know why Adobe doesn't have an option to change this location in the settings since they do for all other Adobe products (that would be a good future enhancement request).

At any rate, since it must be in that location, you can trick the program by creating a hard-link in that location to some location on your large drive. You will need to open command prompt as administrator, make sure you know the full path for your new temp directory (and it exists) and then you can use mklink to create the hardlink

mklink /H C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate 2020\en_US\Configuration\tmp D:\AdobeTmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi techaleb
I tried that on my HP Omen laptop. And triple checked multiple times that the directory names are VERY accurate to do the Mklink as you suggested. But everytime I do it in Command Prompt (Running as Administrator) I always keep getting the "The syntax of the command is incorrect."

Am I doing something wrong here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote the original post on my phone, but I had a later reply that fixed the typos. However, it doesn't look like it is still there.

Here is the correct command. The only changes are removing /H (since hardlinks have to be on the same drive) and putting quotes around the paths (since Animate 2020 has a space in it). 
mklink "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate 2020\en_US\Configuration\tmp" "D:\AdobeTmp"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi techcaleb
Now i've hit another problem. I tried that new method. Now all it does it comes up saying "Access is denied"  everytime. 😕

ugh I give up. Look thanks for trying to help nonethless. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete the old tmp folder first? You must do that otherwise it will say Access is denied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi techcalab.
Didn't know that part. Just went and done that now and retried it with Command Prompt. Seem to have done it. I now got the message that says "symbolic link created" Thank you heaps. Now that's done is there any extra steps or is that it? 

Thank you heaps. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that should be it. You can double check by rendering out something. When it gets to the "creating MOV" step, if you go to the folder on the other drive, you should see the MOV file there while it's generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much 😄
I can happily say IT WORKS. No more rendering in the System C: Drive.
Thank you for your excellent help techcaleb. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a video walkthrough of how to do it (with the updated command) for anyone in the future who needs it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jsbHu-C9WI 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines