• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift from Illustrator to Animate CC (unless saved as SVG)

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm trying to import some shapes from Illustrator into Animate CC. When I do, the color shifts to a more muted version (almost like the RGB to CMYK shift).

Why is this? The original Illustrator file is RGB.

OK, as I typed this I had a thought and tried saving the shapes as an SVG. Bit oddly I have to import the SVGs individually into the stage (not the library) then add them as symbols to the Library. That solves it. I cannot copy the artwork directly from AI to Animate and I cannot import the SVGs directly into the Library.

I'm still curious if anyone knows why importing an AI file (in RGB) shifts the color but doing the same with SVG file does not cause this issue.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Have you tried just copying the files from Illustrator and pasting them into animate? You now have that feature in the later version of animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a few limitations of AI import mentioned in this document Work with Illustrator AI files in Animate CC​ and I am not sure if your observations have anything to do with them. Because I haven't come across a similar question on this forum, I am guessing that it is either a limitation, or something unique to your situation.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just copying the files from Illustrator and pasting them into animate? You now have that feature in the later version of animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this but the colors still don't match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

This is an age-old issue with illustrator color management.

1.Make sure your ai file is in rgb mode.

2.Under Edit/ColorSetting set Illustrator to emulate Illustrator 6.0

Copy from illustrator and paste to AnimateCC. Now the color should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @silverk6935462

Thanks for this post, i've been trying to work this out for years! My workflow pastes from illustrator to animate. I've just made my colours ultra bright to compensate.

The only odd thing is the colours are perfect and bright when i paste into animate, but they've dulled the colours in illustrator. Do you know how to make them brighter in illustrator so they look right at the design stage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @silverk6935462 this is actually the correct answer to the question.

Appreciate you taking the time to share the solution.

Cheers
Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!! Really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in 2022, with this being the only workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Just.Emma, Here's what worked for me: 

To import to Animate from Illustrator and get true colors:
Save parts of graphic to seperate layers in Illustrator.
Import to Annimate with all Illustrator paste settings checked:
Paste using AI file Importer preferences
Apply recommended import serrings to resolve incompatibilities.
Maintain layers.
When the file is in Animate, ungroup everything.
Colors should hold true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me; the colors always end up washed out in Animate.  To get the correct colors, I always have to switch to Emulate Illustrator 6.0 before importing (which makes the colors look wrong in Illustrator, but right when pasted in Animate).  It's a hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Emma, I switch to Emulate Illustrator 6.0 as you suggested and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very handy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is not but thats what you get with expensive professional software.

And problem still exists so don't hold your breath waiting for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this fix in Animate 2022.  When importing from copy Illustrator  to Paste Animate, in the Paste dialog, I check the box "Apply recommended import settings to resolve incompatibilites" the colors come in true.  I don't know if this feature is in older versions of Animate.

Zaffer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines