Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying Illustrator shapes into Animate changes colours

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm trying to copy and paste simple vector shapes from Illustrator CC 2017 into Animate CC 2017. The shapes copy and paste fine, but the Fill colours change each time in Animate.

Some forum posts have suggested saving as older .ai or swf  files and Importing into Animate, but this doesn't solve it for me.

Other forum posts suggest the Colour Space can be at fault, but I'm using an sRGB space in Illustrator.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

The only thing I found to work is if you export the file as an .svg file and them import that into Animate it retains the rbg values. Just tried it and it totally works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

I find solution here https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate/color-shift-from-illustrator-to-animate-cc-unless-saved-as-svg/m-p/10345420

answer from  @silverk6935462 and it works

1. Make sure your ai file is in rgb mode.

2. Under Edit/ColorSetting set Illustrator to emulate Illustrator 6.0

Copy from illustrator and paste to AnimateCC. Now the color should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that is because Animate is RGB based and Illustrator is CMYK based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Asymetrical - Illustrator allows for working in both CMYK and RGB colour spaces, and in theory it should be possible to copy and paste from the RGB space into Animate whilst preserving the colours ('Animate AI Importer... maintains the appearance of RGB (red, green, blue) colors' in Work with Illustrator AI files in Animate CC).

Unfortunately it's not working correctly for me though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your Color Settings synchronized across your Creative Cloud applications? You can do that in Bridge by going to Edit > Color Settings... Scroll down to see Synchronize Color Settings across Adobe applications here: Creative Suite * Keeping colors consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Myra - unfortunately these settings were already set to Synchronise, so this doesn't solve the problem, and it still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to find a workaround that preserves the colour values - by Exporting as an SVG file from Illustrator, and then Importing the SVG into Animate.

It's a lengthier process, so if anyone knows a way of copying and pasting whilst preserving colour values, that would be preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I can't seem to find any more info/solution on this anywhere else - 2 years on and the issue still persists...

My issue is identical, colour settings are synchronised, illustrator file is rgb colour space

Is there anything else we can try to solve the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I found to work is if you export the file as an .svg file and them import that into Animate it retains the rbg values. Just tried it and it totally works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, STILL an issue, 4 years later? UGH... I'm trying to import from RGB Illustrator doc with layers set for all the parts of my animation. All the color dies when it comes in.... this is illustrator (v24.2.3):

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.42.05 AM.png

And this is what it looks like in Animate (v20.5.1)... flat, washed out. Sigh. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.41.55 AM.png

I noticed my original Illustrator document was made as a "Print" document. Even after switching to RGB color space, my default swatches were described in CMYK. I made a NEW RGB Illustrator doc as "Art & Illustration" and default swatches were RGB. Import to Animate and it still converts to flat colors. 

I did copy / paste from Illustrator to Animate. Same flat colors. Left is paste Illustrator file / Right is paste with conversion to bitmap. Same exact "copy" with 2 options on "paste". This makes me sad. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 12.08.05 PM.png

Copy / pasted a few layers to Photoshop, saved out as PNG files. Looks right in PSD, still makes flat color on import to Animate.  

The only way the color stays "bright" is by letting Animate import as "import as a single bitmap image" turning the quality to garbage. The whole point of Flash (Animate) is being able to use vector graphics for small file sizes. I guess Adobe lost that in the rebranding?   

There is no process to import the layers of an Illustrator file as layers into Animate without killing your color? There is no process to keep vectors and good RGB color? When ever a repetitive cycle is made to work around a basic issue, the software is failing. 4 years with a known issue? Adobe is failing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news! I found an easy solution where the color fidelity can be maintained while copying and pasting from Illustrator into Animate. I was having the same problems--even while working in RGB mode any artwork copied from Illustrator would paste with washed out colors in Flash... I mean Animate. Here is what you have to do first:

From within Illustrator select your artwork. Go to Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to RGB

(note that this should be done even if working in RGB Mode and you will not see any visible change)

Copy the artwork. Switch to Animate and paste using AI importer preferences. Your colors should look nice and bright, and your art will remain as vectors!

Capture.JPG

Good luck, and cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still does not work. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find solution here https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate/color-shift-from-illustrator-to-animate-cc-unless-saved-as-sv...

answer from  @silverk6935462 and it works

1. Make sure your ai file is in rgb mode.

2. Under Edit/ColorSetting set Illustrator to emulate Illustrator 6.0

Copy from illustrator and paste to AnimateCC. Now the color should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. It works 👏 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! It worked! Itworkeditworkeditworked! Been hand-fixiing colors for 10 years but not anymore it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yessssss! It works. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines