createjs.Ticker.framerate does NOTHING

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a movie that suffers a performance issue - half way down the movie I want to change the frame rate.

This seems to do nothing:

createjs.Ticker.framerate=1;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to change the framerate?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a particle effect that slows down the framerate.  When the user turns it off the framerate returns to its very FAST frame rate.  I would like to control that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ClayUUID LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected, this is a terrible reason to want to change the frame rate.

First, you can't predict what kind of hardware your end users will be running on. Could be something old and slow or something new and blazing fast. You have no way of knowing whether this particle effect will slow things down or not.

Second, if your particle effect is slowing down the frame rate on what I'll assume is midrange hardware, then you need to fix that. Scale it down or implement it more efficiently. CreateJS is perfectly capable of rendering very complex particle system at a high frame rate.

https://createjs.com/demos/easeljs/Cache.html

Third, if you can't make the particle effect perform better, then just set your frame rate to the best it can manage on your test hardware without slowdown. It almost sounds like you're intentionally using the particle effect slowdown as a frame rate limiter, which if true would be a very, VERY bad idea.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines