• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easing for Motion Tweening vs. Classic Tweening

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see a huge benefit to motion tweening since you can see the path and adjust more specifically, but I don't understand why easing is so difficult.  

I've been following the hands-on tutorials, and a lot of them use classic tweening, which allows for an easier way to create an ease directly in the properties window. Why doesn't Motion tweening do the same?  

I'm going to attempt to teach this to grade 7 students, but I'm not sure which method I should suggest to them to use (motion or classic). Trying to get them to do both for certain objects will create confusion.  I need to keep it super simple. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Hi mate,

The consensus among the Flash animation community is that Motion tweens are useless and no time should be wasted with them.

Classic and Shape tweens are all that you need and this is what is used in TV animation.

Usage of Motion tweens accounts to less than a fraction of 1%. It is very close to zero. The implementation has been awful since the very beginning. There are more problems with them than just the easing.

You can evaluate for yourself or take my word for it and save yourself a lo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

The consensus among the Flash animation community is that Motion tweens are useless and no time should be wasted with them.

Classic and Shape tweens are all that you need and this is what is used in TV animation.

Usage of Motion tweens accounts to less than a fraction of 1%. It is very close to zero. The implementation has been awful since the very beginning. There are more problems with them than just the easing.

You can evaluate for yourself or take my word for it and save yourself a lot of wasted time and frustration.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was planning to make a post like InnerCitySquirrel when I n. saw tilcheff's answer. Still, I do see potential for the relatively new Motion Tween. Even if it is just that no motion guide is needed, which limits the number of layers. You should see an advantage in that, right?

I am sorry that the following is not the case:
It would be so nice if you could add an easy "ease in, ease out" (AE easy ease) as is the case with the classic tween. But somehow the eases are all wrong with the Start & Stop option. Where you want it to start slow, speed up and end slow again (ease in ease out), it starts fast and ends slow. Or I just really don't understand. I like to go past this confusion. 

What I'd like to see is an Advanced workflow tutorial for the Motion Tween instead of all the super basic tutorials out there. In this advanced workflow, I hope to find a really good reason to use this form of tweening, eventually seeing opportunities to take full advantage of this option. So here's my attempt to breathe life into this question again. Hopefully something will come out. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only advantage motion tween has are the trajectories, the rest is not as smooth as in AE. A craft solution is to duplicate the layer, create the motion tween, generate the motion, and copy the trajectory, go back to the classic tween symbol and create a guide layer where the pasted trajectory is pasted. That can be converted to a command.
The other option is to use very practical extensions:
Motion path:
https://www.trickorscript.com/p_MP.php
o
Draw Guide:
https://toonmonkey.com/extensions.html
Which also has an extension for easies Time Chart

And an example of use is when you have to turn a head and you want it to make an arc.

____
2D vector animator since 2000 & PhD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sergiopop75,

Thanks for the reply and the extentions. I will be checking those out. Does it still work in the current version of Animate CC? 

Also thanks for the trick about the pasted trajectory. Will be using that one!

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines