Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error #1063: Argument count mismatch on CBClasses::cbIntro(). Expected 5, got 0

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is my first attempt with AS3...now I am well aware of OOPs concepts and am comfortable with programming, but I am not able to wrap my head around the whole connecting the classes to the display objects on screen thing [linkages and class names n all]..now I managed to fix most errors in my file, which has cbIntro as the base class [set up successfully]...now cbIntro extends MovieClip as it links to an external fla [cbFlash]...but  within cbFLash I am calling the following...

import CBClasses.cbIntro;

var flipped:Boolean = false;

var jobs:jobsBtn_mc = new jobsBtn_mc();  //not a button a movieclip within the library

var flip:cbIntro;

function callFlip(e:MouseEvent):void 

trace("in call flip");

if (!flipped)

//some button code

flip  = new cbIntro(evnts, jobs, 2, "left", true);  //evnts is a mc on stage

addChild(flip);

flipped = true;  

else if (flipped)

flip = new cbIntro(jobs, evnts, 2, "right", true); 

addChild(flip); 

flipped = false; 

evnts.nxt.visible = true; 

evnts.nxt.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, callFlip); //Adds the listeners to the buttons 

jobs.bck.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, callFlip); 

cbIntro has one constructor which takes 5 parameters, defined within a separate .as file.....now I am getting an error

Error #1063: Argument count mismatch on CBClasses::cbIntro(). Expected 5, got 0 

How can this happen, the only time an object is created, I am sending the right number of parameters...?? declaring a cbIntro variable should not call the constructor....?? Is that what is happening?? Or am I missing something important????

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

There may be more wrong with the code, but for starters, if you have an object on the stage that you assigned an instance name of eventsmc, then you cannot declare a variable with that same name.  Also, since you declare the vanish function as private, you cannot have anything outside of the class attempt to use it, so you need to either make it public or have some other public function within the class file that calls it.

You appear to have posted regarding two entirely unrelated attempts at cod

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2011 Jan 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I tried to gather my bearings a little with AS3..and tried out a trial class....ALL that the class does is create an object of the external class, and then call a function which displays the alpha value of a movieclip passed to it. The movieclip is on the stage of the swf file.

Code in swf:

var iMain:introMain = new introMain();

var isVanished:Boolean = false;

var eventsmc:MovieClip;

function callVanish(e:MouseEvent):void {

trace("inside callVanish");

iMain.vanish(eventsmc);

isVanished = true;

}

eventsmc.nxt.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, callVanish);

code within introMain class:

package  {

import flash.display.*; //all this for later

import fl.transitions.easing.*;

import fl.transitions.Tween;

import fl.transitions.TweenEvent;

import flash.events.MouseEvent;

public class introMain extends MovieClip{

public function introMain(){

trace("inside intromain constructor");

}

private function vanish(mcName:MovieClip):void{

trace("inside vanish " + mcName.alpha);

}

}

}

The error I am getting

: Error #2136: The SWF file path/introduction.swf contains invalid data.

at introMain/frame1()

why is this happening?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be more wrong with the code, but for starters, if you have an object on the stage that you assigned an instance name of eventsmc, then you cannot declare a variable with that same name.  Also, since you declare the vanish function as private, you cannot have anything outside of the class attempt to use it, so you need to either make it public or have some other public function within the class file that calls it.

You appear to have posted regarding two entirely unrelated attempts at coding.  You do everyone a favor if you keep different topics in different postings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned,

Sorry about posting two different topics thing...I was just trying to figure out the first problem by creating a stripped down version of the sending an on stage movieclip to an external class thing. I don't know how I can break up this post now...but since you have mentioned a few points...the problem is not with the private function declaration..you are correct of course..and that error was fixed..but I am still getting the error....

inside intromain constructor

Error: Error #2136: The SWF file file:///E|/Adobe/Flash%20CS5/Projects/trial/introduction.swf contains invalid data.

at introMain/frame1()

the introMain class only contains a constructor and a vanish function, which only shows a trace. I removed the problem with the on stage instance name, and tried to access it directly...but I don't think the code is even getting to that point...or may be it is...I am at a loss here...

Code within introduction.swf

var iMain:introMain = new introMain();

var isVanished:Boolean = false;

trace("events alpha" + eventsmc.alpha);

I am not even calling the vanish function anymore...is something wrong with the constructor call???

Code within introMain

package  {

import flash.display.*;

import fl.transitions.easing.*;

import fl.transitions.Tween;

import fl.transitions.TweenEvent;

import flash.events.MouseEvent;

public class introMain extends MovieClip{

public function introMain(){

trace("inside intromain constructor");

}

public function vanish(mcName:MovieClip):void{

trace("inside vanish");

}

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Who is introduction.swf?  What you might try is to create an entirely new file (not the as file) , only for the sake of making sure you are not dealing with a corrupted file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines