Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Estimate to learn Animate and After Effects

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow friends!

I was asked to come up with an estimate for a client to help create short 1-2 minutes animated clips such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tS4St70GY.

For someone new to video animation, what would you say it takes to learn the software needed to create something like this? I read that After Effects and Animate would be the most commonly used programs.

I use Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop consistently, so I am hoping that the learning curve won't be too hard to learn how to create animated clips using sister adobe products. This is a brand new project to me, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Email: rlassen@nesafetycouncil.org

Thanks!

Rebekah Lassen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebekah,

Your knowledge of graphic design and image processing applications will help with some fundamental terminology and UI commonality, but that would be it.

The example provided is a competently executed short animation. Not great by any standards, but quite decent for what it is.

You will face two separate large sets of problems:

- Learning how to use new software

- Learning how to create animation

You can learn Animate to above intermediate level in a year, but start getting some results in a month or two.

Creating a polished, professional-looking animation product requires learning:

- Designing for animation: Layout, Character design

- Rigging

- Directing for animation: Storyboarding, Staging, Timing

- Animating

- Working with audio; Timing to audio

and more.

If you are starting from scratch and on your own, it will take at least 2-3 years to get to a level that may pass as professional.

And that is if you are fully committed.

If you are a professional Illustrator, character design for animation and layout will be much easier to master.

All said above is not meant to discourage you, but you should have realistic expectations.

Learning the software is the shortest and easiest part.

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the thorough response. This definitely helps me gain a better understanding for expectation. I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Animate is pretty user friendly and a great tool for vectors, drawing, characters, animating, creating web content (HTML5), exporting to video, and even making apps. After Effects is a much steeper learning curve but more powerful tool overall. Ideal for higher end complex animation, compositing or special effects work etc. Personally I love Animate and can't get my head around After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines