Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Animation as SVG - alternatives to snap.svg

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

tldr; are there anything at all (even paid options) that lets me export animation as a svg, other than snap.svg plugin?

I need to export animations as small svg clips, and canvas elements will not fit the bill at all in any shape or form. However, snap.svg, the plugin, is at best outdated and is no longer maintained (their own GitHub page admits this), and at worst it was a shady work around to begin with. Just tried to install it on my new computer, and it wouldn't even install with the zxp file supposedly being corrupted or something. I just with Adobe Animate could do this out of the box - for something that's called Adobe Animate CC, and branded as a software that's going to replace Flash, not being able to export my animation as svg seems ridiculous.

Fingers crossed for a solution... Or what does anyone have an alternative platform altogether for something like this?

Best,

Tony

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

So, for thoes who are MacOS users, there is an alternative product I've discovered and have been using: Keyshape (https://www.keyshapeapp.com)

I was really hoping I wouldn't be the one to answer my own question after a year or so of searching, but oh well.

Here are some pros:

• simple lightweight program
  • intuitive and easy to use
  • plenty of flexibility and features, such as easing and animating on a path, masking, etc.
  • one time payment, no subscription hell
  • decent support: I've had Adobe support provide

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some info on exporting SVGs from directly within Animate:  Work with SVG files in Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI for others, the following link doesn't contain answers to the original question. Again, the original question was: "are there anything at all (even paid options) that lets me export animation as a svg, other than snap.svg plugin?".

I'm still low-key looking for alternatives, but haven't found anything just yet. What I have definitely concluded was that the snap.svg library is outdated and is not complete. The plug-in for Adobe Animate is doomed for any future updates it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. Please someone from Adobe can answer the question? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing that I know of. I will check with the team and get back to you.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team confirmed that Adobe Animate natively supports Static SVG and not animated SVG.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but that is not the correct answer!

We know that Animate can export natively static SVG.

The question was:

Is there a third part plugin, which retrofits the possibility to export animated SVG?

It can also be a non Adobe plugin, it can also be a pay plugin. Please do not tell us one of tis 2 plugins: Snap.svg Animator or Animated SVG Exporter, because this two plugins do not work with Animate cc 2019 anymore. Please ask your team if they know a plugin or a way to export animated SVG from Animate.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frage12,

I've actually spoken to a representative about Snap.svg plug-in crashing the 2019 Adobe Animate.

He told me the team is working on the issue, and hope to give an update soon. I'll make a post here if anything significant changes...

This still doesn't really solve our concern. I sincerely hope Adobe adds on a feature to export SVG animations from Adobe Animate. With a name like "Adobe Animate" you'd think we'd be able to export animated SVG - the literal future of web-based animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make a post here if anything significant changes...

Thanks!

I sincerely hope Adobe adds on a feature to export SVG animations from Adobe Animate.

I agree with you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frage12,

I made a post few days ago about this, but forgot to reply to this one.

Long story short, an Adobe representative has confirmed that Adobe will no longer support the snapSVG plugin in future versions of Adobe Animate - the current version (CC 2019) keeps on crashing, and this will no longer be addressed either.

The representative has also stated that she cannot comment on whether or not Adobe has any sort of road map or intentions on implementing SVG animation support for their software, which is incredibly disheartening and even confusing, given their product name and the associated advertisements.

I can acknowledge that we are probably a minority wanting a niche feature, but I do sincerely hope that this gets implemented... And soon, as I keep on searching an alternative to Adobe Animate which forces me and my team to consider leaving this costly ecosystem altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is disappointing as yes this is probably quite a niche market at the moment, but there is obviously potential growth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether we're a minority or not, it doesn't matter... Adobe Animate should, at minimum, be able to export in all basic and commonly used formats, such as animated SVG, as a standard.

The fact this is not an option in Animate is absolutely unbelievable and an inexcusable oversight by Adobe. Sometimes I think they just develop apps haphazardly, release sub-standard software, and then ignore it once it's released. Just so they can say "one low price gets you Creative Cloud which includes 100 million apps, blah, blah".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are user-to-user forums.

for applicable apps, you can make (some) suggestions to adobe here, https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT THE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weird that this is not a priority for the Adobe Animate team, if www.svgator.com can manage to export clean code, then surely you can come up with something??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for the same. I installed Animate 19 and wondered/missed the possibility to export an animated svg. I thought, Animate was made for this.

I am looking for a solution too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are actually doing an internal (but important) project right now that would be solved if SVG animations could be exported from Adobe Animate CC. I know we can use a variety of scripts to achieve what we want (Snap.SVG, Bodymovin + After Effects, GreenSock, etc...) - In the interest of saving time though, because we're an agency and working on our OWN website (which this project is for) is tough to get done when we have to manually write code, test and re-test. So the quickest route would be best, looks like we will have to look at online SVG animation/creators to get the job done without burning up hours. I do so wish this feature was available for Animate though, yes SWF's are dead on the web, everyone knows this, but animated SVG's are the next SWF's I think...let's get moving Adobe Please? Get on top of the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, for thoes who are MacOS users, there is an alternative product I've discovered and have been using: Keyshape (https://www.keyshapeapp.com)

I was really hoping I wouldn't be the one to answer my own question after a year or so of searching, but oh well.

Here are some pros:

• simple lightweight program
  • intuitive and easy to use
  • plenty of flexibility and features, such as easing and animating on a path, masking, etc.
  • one time payment, no subscription hell
  • decent support: I've had Adobe support provide me with blatantly wrong information and take lots of persuasion from me to admist that they don't actually know what they are doing and they'll have to get back to me. Keyshape developers were able to give me clear instructions and even demo files when I was stuck.
  • ABLE TO EXPORT SVG FILES IN SIMPLE FORMATS THAT'S EASY TO USE ON THE WEB
  • Of course supports various other file formats as well
  • works very well with Adobe Illustrator - just copy paste in your vectors.

Some cons:

• Not able to use JavaScript to give interactivity or other scripting features.
  • Only availble on MacOS
  • Lacks other development tools/features (e.g., AIR for Desktop)

Would be wonderful if Affinity developed something alternative to Animate, but looks like that won't happen anytime soon 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude.
I really don't understand why it's still not a priority for Adobe team in 2020.
I'll try your app 😉
Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. I can't believe Adobe doesn't have this capabilty. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this from Adobe?!! I assure you that there are many out there that need this feature! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes definitively ... missig this .. lot's of app are doing great job at this .. 

like : https://app.svgator.com/

.. but ADOBE have to be part of this... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i would love to have a solution for this too. I did an animation job back in 2018 which i exported as SVG via snap.svg and its build in his webside. Now the customer ask me to go futher with this animation, but as snap.svg is not supported anymore in Animate 2020, so I´ve got a big problem.  Please ADOBE put some energy into an inhouse SVG Exporter. The trend with animations on websites are coming back now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Tumult Hype.

For a long time it was a kind of smooth Mac-only equivalent for that (in)famous Adobe Edge Animate, but as Adobe cancelled their breed of Edge puppies, Hype started to bring web animation to a much higher level. It offers SVG anchor point animation, and many more excellent features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines